Author Topic: From Sacramento to Reno/Carson City  (Read 1310 times)

xjs_red

From Sacramento to Reno/Carson City
« on: %973 %05, %2017, %1:%Jun:%th %-07:00 »
+1
Hi All,

Never been to a ranch before and I'm considering it. The only problem is that the closest city my work will take me is Sacramento. The drive looks doable and the reviews make me believe that it will be worth it. My only reservation is that the drive looks to be very mountainous and rough. Has anyone ever traveled that path that can give a heads up on how that ride may be?

Thanks,
-Red

Max Wood

Re: From Sacramento to Reno/Carson City
« Reply #1 on: %085 %05, %2017, %1:%Jun:%th %-07:00 »
Avoid it in the winter unless you can put chains on the Jag, otherwise it's a pleasant ride, all major highway.

Offline knitwit

• Regular
« Reply #2 on: %110 %05, %2017, %1:%Jun:%th %-07:00 »
Sac to Reno is an easy drive, I-80 is nice. Its like a 2ish hour drive. Like Max said, the only real concern is the pass being closed due to winter weather, but that's not much of a concern right now.

Offline highdrive

• Hoser Family Member
  • "I knew I was not magnificent"
« Reply #3 on: %399 %06, %2017, %1:%Jun:%th %-07:00 »
Used to live there. Did the drive all the time. Don't take US 50 in winter. Bring chains if there's any snow. Very nice drive. The ladies make it worth it.
HD

Offline wrb55roscojr

• Hoser Family Member
« Reply #4 on: %662 %06, %2017, %1:%Jun:%th %-07:00 »
If I understood right .Hollywood .Goes to Sacramento dam neer every weekend ! Not sure if their is any construction yet. Your looking at a 2-3 hour drive ,each way. You just need to watch the traffic. I-80 is a 4-6 lane highway......

isurfer

« Reply #5 on: %816 %06, %2017, %1:%Jun:%th %-07:00 »
Hi All,

Never been to a ranch before and I'm considering it. The only problem is that the closest city my work will take me is Sacramento. The drive looks doable and the reviews make me believe that it will be worth it. My only reservation is that the drive looks to be very mountainous and rough. Has anyone ever traveled that path that can give a heads up on how that ride may be?

Thanks,
-Red
I-80 from Sacramento to Reno and I-580 to Carson City are both multilane high speed highways, from 65-70 mph speed limits. Try to avoid the snow in winter. Someone mentioned highway 50 from Sacramento, and that highway is mountainous and parts of it are 2 lanes only, one in each direction, and the speed limits are lower than the interstates. If you can, avoid traveling at peak hours, like many big cities, Sacramento has traffic jams during rush hours. Avoid busy times like major holidays of July 4th and Labor Days, etc. because vacationers from Sacramento and the Bay Area tend to head out to Lake Tahoe and Reno in large numbers and can slow down traffic. The same with weekends, but a little less crowded on the highways. Driving I-80 at night is not as scary as it might seem on a map, it is an easy drive from Sacramento to Reno which I did in 2 hours on Memorial Day at 65mph.

xjs_red

« Reply #6 on: %150 %06, %2017, %1:%Jun:%th %-07:00 »
+1
Avoid it in the winter unless you can put chains on the Jag, otherwise it's a pleasant ride, all major highway.

I think it's a cardinal sin to put chains on a jag! But thanks all for your sound advice on how to get there!

Mikey

« Reply #7 on: %229 %06, %2017, %1:%Jun:%th %-07:00 »

I think it's a cardinal sin to put chains on a jag! But thanks all for your sound advice on how to get there!

It's an easy drive, I do it from the Bay Area a couple times a year, one in summer, one in winter. If it's an X-Type it's probably all wheel drive, so you could just put snow tires on it.

Ada_Marie

« Reply #8 on: %913 %09, %2017, %1:%Jun:%th %-07:00 »
Don't go threw the mountains! It's really windy but an absolute beautiful drive. As everyone is saying go threw I-80. Easier drive.

jadecapri

« Reply #9 on: %959 %09, %2017, %1:%Jun:%th %-07:00 »
If you are concern, just avoid snowy weather. Other than that, it's a pretty easy and fast drive. I drive over 50 and 80. Either way, you will see great landscape and enjoy it. If you get sleepy easy, maybe drive during the day as the road is dark ;)
You can do it and we will love to meet you.

Ruby Rae

« Reply #10 on: %220 %10, %2017, %1:%Jun:%th %-07:00 »
If you are concern, just avoid snowy weather. Other than that, it's a pretty easy and fast drive. I drive over 50 and 80. Either way, you will see great landscape and enjoy it. If you get sleepy easy, maybe drive during the day as the road is dark ;)
You can do it and we will love to meet you.

Jade will drive through any weather lol. I have experienced it. Wind, rain, snow, doesn't matter. She's not afraid of mother nature at all haha.

But she's right. Snowy weather is not the best for driving conditions, but right now it's a beautiful and easy drive :)

CaseyCross

« Reply #11 on: %232 %11, %2017, %1:%Jun:%th %-07:00 »
Hi All,

Thanks,
-Red

I drive to & from Sacramento every week just for the day. If I can do it, you can do it ;) Take 80, not 50.
« Last Edit: %239 %11, %2017, %1:%Jun:%th %-07:00 by CaseyCross »

Offline Ironman

• Hoser Family Member
« Reply #12 on: %240 %11, %2017, %1:%Jun:%th %-07:00 »
Hi All,

Thanks,
-Red

I drive to & from Sacramento every week just for the day. If I can do it, you can do it ;) Take 80, not 50.

Sacramento must be wat more appealing on the days you are passing through. ;)