Author Topic: Dining additions and subtractions in the Reno area  (Read 2518 times)

Offline Interested bystander

• Hoser Family Member
Dining additions and subtractions in the Reno area
« on: April 07, 2011, 04:00:08 PM »
In recent months a few restaurants have closed in Reno and a few new ones have opened.

Closed:
Szechuan Express

Cheeseburger Island Style

Open:
Wet Hen Cafe - moved in at Longley and South McCarran where Szechuan Express used to be.  Serves breakfast and lunch.

Famous Daves BBQ - Opened last week at the intersection of Kietzke and South McCarran, northwest corner near the Save Mart Grocery.  A little pricey but very good BBQ.

Squeeze Inn - Opened on far South Virginia, I don't know the cross street.   Serves breakfast and has been an institution in Truckee for awhile.  From the menu I've seen it's a little pricey but has a good reputation in Truckee.

Einstein Brothers Bagels - Opened on the Southeast corner of Kietzke and McCarran in the old Krispy Kreme Donut building.  Serves breakfast and Lunch.  Bagel sandwiches are a little pricey but just bagels with cream cheese is very affordable and very, very tasty.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 04:02:34 PM by Interested bystander »

SIDEWINDER

Re: Dining additions and subtractions in the Reno area
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 05:45:07 PM »
Hey if it's the same as the Squeeze in in Truckee, it was very good when i was there several years ago. Large portions and a never ending line of people waiting to get in. What about Popeye's chicken? Wern't they suppose to open on in the Reno area?

sunseeker

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 05:46:21 PM »
Squeeze Inn - Opened on far South Virginia, I don't know the cross street.   Serves breakfast and has been an institution in Truckee for awhile.  From the menu I've seen it's a little pricey but has a good reputation in Truckee.

The cross street depends on which side of the Virginia Street you're looking at:
On the East, it's South Meadows Parkway.
On the West (where the Squeeze Inn is), it's Foothill Road.

Haven't tried Squeeze-Inn yet - but had lunch at the new Peg's Glorified Ham and Eggs on South  Meadows Parkway (in the Smith's shopping center) the other day - yum.

• Hoser Family Member
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 07:00:09 PM »
Popeyes opened last fall.  We tried it after the crowds thinned out.  It was ok and different than KFC but I'm in no hurry to go back.

SIDEWINDER

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 07:14:11 PM »
Popeyes opened last fall.  We tried it after the crowds thinned out.  It was ok and different than KFC but I'm in no hurry to go back.

Actually I like KFC better but the Red Beans and Rice are excellent at popeye's. Also some nice combo meals at Sidewinder friendly prices.

East Coast Guy

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 10:01:51 PM »
Sounds like the Claim Jumper is still open.   When I get into town, it's the first place I go for lunch before I can check in.  Good food and ample portions.   If I have it right, it's on the corner of Virginia and Kitzke, across the street from the Olive Garden.   

East Coast Guy

• Hoser Family Member
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 06:29:06 AM »
Actually I like KFC better but the Red Beans and Rice are excellent at popeye's. Also some nice combo meals at Sidewinder friendly prices.

Actually, the one time we ate there one of the sides I got was the red beans and rice.  It was ok but not nearly as good as Jazz in the Legends shopping center.  If you like red beans and rice go to Jazz and get their beans and rice appetizer for $6.99, it's a full plate, comes with three hush puppies, and is enough for a meal.  If you go before 6 you can get it for half price.   I actually get the beans and rice with andoille sausage and a side order of fried okra and it's all I can eat.

SIDEWINDER

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 07:07:08 AM »
Now that sounds great, however I'll pass on the Okra. My parents ate Okra but I couldn't stand it. Fried slimy green stuff.

Red beans and rice with sausage. Not that's living.

• Hoser Family Member
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 09:18:01 AM »
Everyone has their own tastes. I love broccoli and hate asparagus.   Okra isn't slimy if it's cooked properly but it's not for everyone.  I grew up eating it though and am thankful there are now a couple of places out here I can get it.

Offline Prospector Bob

• Hoser Family Member
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2011, 01:58:19 AM »
Everyone has their own tastes. I love broccoli and hate asparagus.   Okra isn't slimy if it's cooked properly but it's not for everyone.  I grew up eating it though and am thankful there are now a couple of places out here I can get it.

Just about anyone from the mid-south (my Mom's family is from Oklahoma) grew up eating okra. I'm a New Mexico native and was raised primarily on New Mexican cuisine but I've eaten lots of my Mom's Okie cooking too. I like okra breaded & fried but okra gumbo with chicken, andouille or boudin sausage is hard to beat for down home cookin'. Ever have grilled okra? Dip the whole pods in melted butter and sprinkle with your favorite cajun seasoning. Throw 'em on the grill 'til they've got a good char on 'em... yummmm! :P

My Mom cooks up some mean greens too! Love this stuff!

PB

Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by the delusional illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

• Hoser Family Member
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2011, 07:17:45 AM »
Never tried it grilled but my ex-wife used to like pickled okra.  Now your talking some slimy stuff.  I like boudin also, Jazz offers boudin with several dishes and an appetizer called boudin balls.   I do like the andouille better though especially with the beans and rice.

SIDEWINDER

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2011, 07:59:43 AM »
Is this the place? Looks like a small chain.

www.jazzkitchens.com

• Hoser Family Member
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2011, 08:57:13 AM »
That's it.  Excellent food. They're located in the Legends shopping center behind Scheels Sporting Goods.

Offline ex_okie

• High Roller
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2011, 10:55:16 PM »
That's it.  Excellent food. They're located in the Legends shopping center behind Scheels Sporting Goods.

Dang IB I'm glad you mentioned this place.  I love red beans & rice especially with sausage, also fried okra and gumbo like PB describes.

Fried Okra just one of the great memories from my early years growing up in Oklahoma.

Definitely going to have check this place out the next time I make it to town, hopefully they make jambalaya too, thanks again IB.  :)

Offline Gray Hound

• Hoser Family Member
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2011, 12:11:38 AM »
Famous Daves BBQ is giving out 30 year anniversary bags. You can turn in the bag for an appetizer and a bottle of their BBQ sauce.