Author Topic: First time in Elko  (Read 1346 times)

Offline HopelessRealist

• Couch Lint
Re: First time in Elko
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2024, 09:02:56 AM »
Hi everyone,

Another new member here! Long-time listener, first-time caller. After lurking for a while and learning as much as I could, I've taken the plunge and joined the monger community!

There have been so many helpful and informative posts and threads here; I've learned so much.

I'm looking at spending a few days in Elko in June. I've been hearing great things about the houses in Elko, in particular Mona's & Inez's.

Strangely, every place appears to be booked solid the first week of June but things are more normal the rest of the month.

Any particular recommendations on where to stay? I've looked at the Elko guide threads but would appreciate some up-to-date tips.

My instincts are pointing me to Ramada/Stockmen's and Red Lion (Gold Country or Maverick) as they look to be good values, and in the case of Stockmen's, the location is super convenient to the houses, but the recent TripAdvisor ratings have been a real mixed bag from what I've seen. I was considering splurging at a place like Ledgestone or a major chain like Hampton Inn, Hilton, or Best Western but I don't want to go too crazy with hotels if it means less money for parties!  :)

Elko has several hotels but not a huge capacity so when there is a fair or something they seem to run out of rooms.  If really hard up you cna probably find a spot in Wells.  Unless there is an eclipse going on.  Then RIP lodging and sleep at a rest stop or Utah. -_-

FYI I did not have a good night at Thunderbird in the fall.  The clerk was a dick and then I got to the room and the AC control was not working, so when I asked for help and it turned out to need me to use a different control that literally had a sign on it saying ~ "Do not use this.  Use the wall control" he got all pissed at me again as if it was my fault for having to ask.  There was also a constantly semi-flushing toilet and something jacked in the shower I am forgetting (I think it took an hour or two to drain but but not sure).

For budget, Motel 6 was better couple of time.  I got a funky room once where the electricity was going out allegedly due to people next door using a lot, but they were always responsive/helpful to fix things including that room getting switched out.  Its a much longer walk though if not driving.

I think others said Stockmens had a weeklong stay discount which might make it closer to those budget options, but don't know if any of the other spots do that.

Random pro tip: Also if you are desperate for food late at night and have a car Rolberto's north of the freeway is I think the only thing other than the gas stations open 24 hrs.  Goldie's bar also might be 24 but is definitely very late and has a very limited bar food menu if you also wanted a drink.

Offline SMRKIA

• Hoser Family Member
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2024, 05:01:35 PM »
Hi everyone,

Another new member here! Long-time listener, first-time caller. After lurking for a while and learning as much as I could, I've taken the plunge and joined the monger community!

There have been so many helpful and informative posts and threads here; I've learned so much.

I'm looking at spending a few days in Elko in June. I've been hearing great things about the houses in Elko, in particular Mona's & Inez's.

Strangely, every place appears to be booked solid the first week of June but things are more normal the rest of the month.

Any particular recommendations on where to stay? I've looked at the Elko guide threads but would appreciate some up-to-date tips.

My instincts are pointing me to Ramada/Stockmen's and Red Lion (Gold Country or Maverick) as they look to be good values, and in the case of Stockmen's, the location is super convenient to the houses, but the recent TripAdvisor ratings have been a real mixed bag from what I've seen. I was considering splurging at a place like Ledgestone or a major chain like Hampton Inn, Hilton, or Best Western but I don't want to go too crazy with hotels if it means less money for parties!  :)

The best answer will vary if you will have a car with you or not.

Stockmens/Ramada (which I do consider a major chain) is always a solid choice. That said I’ve only stayed there when I didn’t have a car with me (flew into Elko airport and just walked from there to the houses/Stockmens). Proximity to the houses is the sole reason I stay there. I don’t drink but if you do and want to have a few drinks during your party Stockmens is ideal as you won’t need to drive afterwards.

But since I typically have a car I kind of like the Comfort Inn. Indoor pool, decent breakfast (which Stockmens also has), and I just feel the rooms are better. It’s pretty close to the Maverick (other side of town from the houses)

I’ve had 6 trips to Elko, here’s how I feel based on my stays:

Recommended- Stockmens(had 3 stays there) and Comfort
Not recommended-Quality and Baymont. Quality looked like it had a renovation that was only half completed.also worth mentioning that it doesn’t have an elevator, and they mentioned they had no lower level rooms available when I checked in (not an issue for me, but it can be for some) FYI before it was Quality it was an Econo Lodge. A downgrade from Econo Lodge is pretty bad. Baymont just wasn’t that nice all around. I think I stayed in 2022 and the fitness center and free breakfast were closed “due to COVID”, in my opinion that is a bogus excuse after 2021.

But don’t be deterred from staying at Stockmens. Parts of the property are showing its age but the rooms seem recently updated.

Offline RoadTripper

• Lookie-Loo
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2024, 10:48:22 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Stockmen's appeals in particular because the rates look like they're a bit more reasonable and location-wise it looks to be a pretty short walk from the houses.

I'll have a car so that'll open my options up a fair bit. We'll see...maybe having to do a short drive will build up the anticipation on the way!

Offline NavySteve

• High Roller
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2024, 04:25:57 AM »
Regarding Baymont, I have stayed at Stockman's most of my trips and everything is great once you get to the front desk. But I use a cane and getting from parking lot to the desk is rough with cracks in the street and lot plus distance. Handicap parking is at the end of the block. Requests by hotel to the city controlled lot is ignored. For Baymont parking is close to check in desk and room close by. You can drive to second floor entrance and the room is even closer. But I still like to have at least one breakfast at Stockman's. By 9:00 the parking is closer to front door as spaces are available as people check out. On both hotels I use rewards point for free rooms.

Offline dustin

• Regular
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2024, 09:51:23 PM »
stockmens is solid place. also closest legit hotel to the houses. I have stayed at the thunderbird last 2 visits. which is like another block or 2 away (you walk past stockmens, so if you wanna gamble or grab food real quick on walk back) and I have liked it as it is quite. both are tired old hotels.
first trip I stayed at the super8. was cheaper, further away, and worse.