Author Topic: Places to Eat in Elko  (Read 1661 times)

MrGoldfish

Places to Eat in Elko
« on: May 17, 2017, 10:00:34 AM »
Okay, so next week I am finally taking the plunge and visiting Elko for the first time.  I'd like to hear some up to date info on good places to get cheap eats, good eats, or cheap and good eats if that's possible.  No preference for cuisine, but I've heard some good things about Basque cooking and am looking forward to trying it out.

TXmonger76

Re: Places to Eat in Elko
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 10:27:42 AM »
Basque cooking, try the Star restaurant, in the vicinity of the houses.

Pizza: Blind Onion and Pizza Barn are decent.

Sub: Port of Subs.

Fast food Mexican: Taco time is good.

Red Lion and Gold Dust West have good food.

Offline Inez’s-Peter

• Inez's D&D
  • Brothel Owner / Employee
  • Hoser Family Member
    • Inez's D&D
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 11:22:09 AM »
The Star is awesome.  Its also a family style dinning.  Large portion with all the fixins.  You will love it.

Peter

chuckar chaser

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 11:53:07 AM »
The Star is awesome.  Its also a family style dinning.  Large portion with all the fixins.  You will love it.

Peter

Yes the star is Awesome

Offline Dr. Who

• Hoser Family Member
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 12:39:56 PM »
Aspen's Bar & Grill at the Red Lion is one of my favorite spots for dinner ...their Kodiac style Atlantic Salmon is top notch.  I have it every time I visit Elko.  I also like the cafe at the Red Lion for breakfast.

J&R's Bar & Grill is also suppose to be pretty good from what I've heard.

For Asian cuisine, I think it was Max Wood who recommended, Himiko Sushi & Steakhouse.  I haven't tried that place yet, but it's on my to do list ...LOL

Of course, you also have your typical fast food places like McDonalds, Taco Bell, Burger King, etc, as well as some chain restaurants like Denny's.

Offline Elkogfe

• Brothel Owner / Employee
  • Hoser Family Member
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 12:40:58 PM »
Top elko restaurants :

Basque: remember basque is a lot of food may need walk around the block after..
Star
Toko ono

Mexican:
La fiesta
Dos amigos

Red lion crab and seafood buffet on Friday nights
Aspen in red lion

Pizza
Pizza barn

Sushi/Chinese
Blue moon

TXmonger76

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 02:04:45 PM »
Aspen's Bar & Grill at the Red Lion is one of my favorite spots for dinner ...their Kodiac style Atlantic Salmon is top notch.  I have it every time I visit Elko.  I also like the cafe at the Red Lion for breakfast.

J&R's Bar & Grill is also suppose to be pretty good from what I've heard.

For Asian cuisine, I think it was Max Wood who recommended, Himiko Sushi & Steakhouse.  I haven't tried that place yet, but it's on my to do list ...LOL

Of course, you also have your typical fast food places like McDonalds, Taco Bell, Burger King, etc, as well as some chain restaurants like Denny's.
JR's is ok, always heard it was suppose to be a locals favorite. I will have to try Aspens next time I'm in Elko.

Offline Dankara

• Lookie-Loo
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 03:31:51 PM »
No question, Star. It's Basque bunkhouse food, which is unique to the Great Basin and California because of the migrant sheep herders in the latter part of the 19th century. So don't expect the same kind of food you'd get in a Basque joint elsewhere.

Offline highdrive

• Hoser Family Member
  • "I knew I was not magnificent"
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 11:09:12 PM »
+1
My fave coffee shop in Nevada is right next to the JC Penney out there. I've definitely gone shopping for gifts and stuff in downtown.

Not quite like Wayne though, who needed to buy a girl a dress one day...
HD

Offline hikingguy2013

• Hoser Family Member
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2017, 01:11:13 AM »
Is Donuts N Mor still open?

Offline Idaho48

• Regular
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2017, 07:02:07 AM »
Yes Donuts n mor is still open but has moved. It's on Mountain City Highway across the street from the Newmont office building.

Ogi Deli is really good for lunches. It's where Donuts n mor use to be

MrGoldfish

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2017, 11:19:17 AM »
Thanks for all the suggestions.  I had read and heard good things about the Star, so that was on my list of things to do already.  Especially looking forward to the large portions, I'm sure there are several ways to work off the meal besides walking around in Elko.  Not really into Asian food, but otherwise glad to hear there is such a variety of places to eat.  From what I had heard, Elko is a rather small town, so I thought dining choices might be limited.

Offline Tennessee25

• Hoser Family Member
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2017, 11:22:36 AM »
Thanks for all the suggestions.  I had read and heard good things about the Star, so that was on my list of things to do already.  Especially looking forward to the large portions, I'm sure there are several ways to work off the meal besides walking around in Elko.  Not really into Asian food, but otherwise glad to hear there is such a variety of places to eat.  From what I had heard, Elko is a rather small town, so I thought dining choices might be limited.

It's probably bigger than you think.  I was surprised my first time there

Offline Armond

• Hoser Family Member
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2017, 09:30:27 PM »
Steakhouses in Elko?  I may go this July

SIDEWINDER

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2017, 05:53:35 AM »
Armond I Love the 10 dollar Prime rib Dinner at The Gold Dust West . I usually have a Great breakfast there also .
If the restaurant at the Gold Dust West is anything like the one in Reno, they have a menu with lots of home style meals. I had the Beef pot roast with potatoes and carrots and it was excellent. Also all kinds of meal specials at The Gold dust too if it's the same as the one in Reno.

BTW: The Star Basque restaurant is excellent. Just bring your appetite as the food just keeps coming.