Author Topic: When September Ends... Elko Food/Hotels/Etc  (Read 646 times)

Offline tygryffon

• Couch Lint
  • tygryffon
When September Ends... Elko Food/Hotels/Etc
« on: October 01, 2022, 09:58:52 PM »
+7
As I wind down and pack to head home, thought I'd share a review of hotels and the food I tried while I was here.

Stockmans/Ramada - AKA Monger Central - be warned that they don't have heat this time of year. Apparently they wait until a little later to turn the heat on, which can be a problem at night! My room got to 60degrees at night... if Mila didn't leave me suitably warm I might have frozen to death! I may be well insulated but this fat boy likes heat. After the first night I changed hotels to...

Shutters - I should have just booked here to begin with, I said I would last time.... This hotel is more expensive (I paid around $100/night) but it's so much nicer. And there's in-room heat year round. If you have a car and can afford a little more per night, IMO this is the place to go.

Odeh's Mediterranean Restaurant - Mila recommended this as one of her new favorite places in town and it really did not disappoint! It doesn't look like much on the outside, but the food is plentiful and flavorful. I ate here twice, having both the steak and chicken. Make sure to get some of the pita bread with your meal.

Luciano's - I've been hearing people talk about this place for years and I finally decided to try it. Unfortunately I wasn't super impressed - while they did bring me the largest piece of prime rib I've ever seen (I swear this cow was a big boy), the flavor just wasn't there. Fettuccine Alfredo on the side was 'okay' but for my .02 I've had better for less.

The Ruby (Restaurant at Shutters) - This place is a hidden gem (get it? ruby? A gem?) and I've yet to order something I didn't like. The only downside is that their hours are like who's line is it anyway - they are completely made up. The Cajun Pasta is messy but it's so, so good. Hotel lobby food has no right to be this good, but they must have hired one heck of a chef.

Chef Chengs - The food was just slightly above average standard chinese fare, but the staff was just so daggone nice they get extra stars. Extremely nice people!

Lamoille Canyon Scenic Byway - Just about 30mins south of Elko is a beautiful drive through Lamoille canyon. Driving around the area - down dirt roads and to find ghost towns - is one of my favorite things to do during downtime in Elko, even more so when I get lucky with a convertible rental car. This is one you definitely should not miss if you have an hour or so to kill and a car. Good paved roads so there's little risk of your rental not being able to handle it. It's also incredibly easy to find - just head south on 5th street (over the bridge) and stay on that road until you see a big sign :). Alternatively, go NORTH on 5th street and you'll eventually run out of pavement and into some really great and open dirt roads. I have no clue what that area "is", but it's a good time with a fun car.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2022, 10:02:24 PM by tygryffon »
SG - Satisfaction Guaranteed

Offline Wildfire

• Hoser Family Member
Re: When September Ends... Elko Food/Hotels/Etc
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2022, 04:23:52 PM »
As I wind down and pack to head home, thought I'd share a review of hotels and the food I tried while I was here.

Stockmans/Ramada - AKA Monger Central - be warned that they don't have heat this time of year. Apparently they wait until a little later to turn the heat on, which can be a problem at night! My room got to 60degrees at night... if Mila didn't leave me suitably warm I might have frozen to death! I may be well insulated but this fat boy likes heat. After the first night I changed hotels to...

I had to do the same thing early this year in March due to the heat.   They still had the heat on and it was 90 degrees the week I was there.

Offline SMRKIA

• Hoser Family Member
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2022, 10:47:36 PM »
Didn’t someone say they had switched over to heat and had to switch back to a/c as there was an unusually hot day (or vice versa), I can’t speak for Elko, but it seems like there’s always that 1 or 2 80 degree day in October, and 60 degree day in May everywhere I’ve lived. I’ll have to keep this in mind for my next trip. Also Shutters sometimes (but not always) shows up on Hotwire for around $80/night. Haven’t seen them on Priceline. But on Hotwire they are currently the only 3.5 star rated hotel in Elko.

Offline traveling man

• Lookie-Loo
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2022, 02:28:39 PM »
Recommend the Star Hotel for a drink and appetizers.  Bread Pudding is to die for.   

Offline NewDude2022

• High Roller
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2022, 07:51:57 PM »
I always have a car of some kind (my own or a rental if I flew in to SLC), and I've always stayed about 1-2m away in more traditional hotels on Idaho St. There seems to be plenty of food options to choose from all over town, so food at the place I stay doesn't matter that much to me.  I don't need a pool either as I can swim when I am home.

Having said all of that, I have never even paid as much as $60 - taxes included - for any room on any night during any stay in Elko as a result. I have always had heat in the winter and air in the summer. Not fancy rooms, mind you - but I've always felt safe, the rooms have been clean with comfortable beds, had in-room refrigerators and microwaves, and located near food and grocery options. The $ difference ends up in the pockets of the ladies that I party with.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 07:56:13 PM by NewDude2022 »
If for some reason you are not living for today - and they say that tomorrow never comes .... where does that leave you?

Offline Curiousgeorge

• Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2022, 03:03:29 AM »
I always have a car of some kind (my own or a rental if I flew in to SLC), and I've always stayed about 1-2m away in more traditional hotels on Idaho St. There seems to be plenty of food options to choose from all over town, so food at the place I stay doesn't matter that much to me.  I don't need a pool either as I can swim when I am home.

Having said all of that, I have never even paid as much as $60 - taxes included - for any room on any night during any stay in Elko as a result. I have always had heat in the winter and air in the summer. Not fancy rooms, mind you - but I've always felt safe, the rooms have been clean with comfortable beds, had in-room refrigerators and microwaves, and located near food and grocery options. The $ difference ends up in the pockets of the ladies that I party with.

Can you name your favorite to stay in?

Offline NewDude2022

• High Roller
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2022, 09:39:30 PM »
No real single favorite, just good (enough) decent hotels. I use a discount app (you know, the most famous "hotels" one), and get very good prices. My last stay was at Super 8. The room was fine, but I didn't like the arrangement in that it is 2 hotels right next to each other on Idaho St, but run through the lobby of just 1 of them - so to get to the lobby, I had to leave the building I was staying in and walk across the lot.  Room was good enough and inexpensive, near grocery and restaurants. Fridge, micro etc.

I've stayed at the Days Inn nearly across the street from there on Idaho too. Nice rooms, 'continental breakfast' (fresh fruit, OJ, prepackaged small pastry which was surprisingly good), run by a nice dude and his wife I think. Also near groceries. In fact, I think there is even a restaurant within 100' of it on the same side of the road? Fridge, micro.

There is also a nice looking Comfort Inn near both - I think a little further up the road away from the houses. All are near where I-80 drops you off into Elko. I've never stayed there and actually would have liked to on the trip where I stayed at the Super 8 but I waited too long to book. Again on Idaho, again near groceries.  All 3 1.5-2.0m from 3rd St. And all 'priced right,' especially on the app I use.  It is reviewed higher than the other 2 on my app. Costs a *few* $ more, but still less than most w/a known name/national brand.

Plus w/my app, I get a free night (of avg reservation $ value excl. fees) after 10 nights. In fact, my next Elko visit, whenever that may be, will have 1 free night as a result! These are no-frills hotels, but since I'm not bringing the girls back there - and I hope to spend my 'quality time' at the houses, pre and post party as well, IDGMOAF about the bling of wherever I stay. Safe, comfortable, convenient and fairly priced is my entire list. I have gotten decent rates for both weekdays and weekends when booking out in advance.  My app also shows that most hotels (NOT all), allow you to cancel so long as it is >24 hours in advance. Also, most (NOT all) allow you to either pay immediately via the app (refundable when that is the deal) or 'pay on site' when you get there. Gotta have ID and the CC you used on the site.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2022, 09:49:37 PM by NewDude2022 »
If for some reason you are not living for today - and they say that tomorrow never comes .... where does that leave you?

Offline Curiousgeorge

• Regular
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2022, 02:48:29 AM »
Appreciate the info, I def agree that I don’t need a four star hotel, I just need a clean, comfortable bed, a warm shower, and a tv.

Offline vegasdude

• Lookie-Loo
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2022, 06:02:49 PM »
+1
Great review!  I usually stay at Stockmans, but I might try Shutters in a future visit.  Thanks for the info!

Offline Curiousgeorge

• Regular
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2022, 06:37:11 PM »
Definitely might try shutters after finding them at 77$ on one of the travel sites

Offline th.classic

• Regular
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2022, 09:17:47 PM »
If you have any Hilton points in stock, the Hampton Inn across the street from the Elko airport is pretty low "priced" compared to many of its counterparts(about 30,000 points per night). Lodging for my entire visit was free. Quality was as expected for the brand.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2022, 09:23:56 PM by th.classic »