Author Topic: Elko National Cowboy Poetry Gathering  (Read 1017 times)

Zedshead

Elko National Cowboy Poetry Gathering
« on: December 09, 2017, 06:53:34 PM »
+7
On a recent trip to Elko, I picked up a brochure about thr 34th Annual cowboy poetry gathering. It sounds interesting, I'm curious if anyone has attended. Of course, when in Elko, there are other things to do besides listen to Western music and cowboy poetry. Is that a busy time of year for the brothels? Are they fully staffed? Specials?  Lastly, I'm not sure that the end of January-first of Febuary is the time I'd pick to be there. Can someone comment of the typical weather in Elko at that time of year?

Zed

Offline Q

• Administrator
  • Hoser Family Member
Re: Elko National Cowboy Poetry Gathering
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 07:05:48 PM »

Offline oldskiis

• Hoser Family Member
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 09:27:17 PM »
    I attended a couple of the early years, but that was probably 1986 and 1987, the houses were still pretty busy and then went into decline and PJ's Lucky Strike closed.  They were busy but no busier than a summer weekend in 1974 long before the mines tripled the population of Elko.  Mining started booming about the time of the first Poet Gathering in 1984.  Before that, it was just a sleepy cow town, but the brothels boomed. 
     January in Elko can be cold, below zero cold, and also snowy but imagine the average low temp in in the twenty degree F range and the daily highs in the thirties and forties .    In the old days the train tracks ran between the Stockman and the houses and one summer night I was waiting for the train to pass and high desert nights can get very cold in the summer, I was shaking with cold by the time I got to a pair of warm welcome arms. 
     If you like music, they used to have some pretty good jam sessions in the Stockman, do not know if that still happens or not. 

Online Elkogfe

• Brothel Owner / Employee
  • Hoser Family Member
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 10:31:47 PM »
+2
This year It may just be cold as we have barely any snow..

But lots of hotties to warm you up!

Offline vanityaffair

• Working Girl
  • Hoser Family Member
  • Courtesan of the year 2019. I’m a winner
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2017, 02:39:41 PM »
Welcome. I'm in Battle Mountain Not far from Elko. My first time up in that area. The residents said it was the worst winter in 10years. I don't believe we will have the same this year. It does get cold up there. But it's nice and hot and cozy up it's the Desert Club. Stop in and visit us. Your first drink is onMe.
The poetry does sound interesting. I might just check it out.
XO Vanity
Rookie Courtesan first year and voted top 5 courtesans Of Nevada several years in a row. Winner of Courtesan of the Year 2019. I will continue to be humble and true to myself.

Julie

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2017, 06:21:02 PM »
+2
The brothels aren't very busy during this event but the town is. Lots of families and couples visiting. Some lookie-lous and old timers at the brothels. However it's very difficult to get a hotel room. Make reservations early if you plan to come. Dress warm.

Offline highdrive

• Hoser Family Member
  • "I knew I was not magnificent"
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2017, 01:22:46 PM »
I wanna go! I love poetry. Of course when I go to poetry slams and things they are usually in big cities and that I figure would have a different, usually more radical vibe to them than what I would expect from Elko. Lol
HD
HD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HomosexualHarold

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2017, 06:09:20 PM »
Sound's awesome.

Offline Inez’s-Peter

• Inez's D&D
  • Hoser Family Member
    • Inez's D&D
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2017, 01:04:21 PM »
Cowboys Poetry is a family oriented event.  The town will be busy and hotels generally are at capacity during the event.

I am a city boy at heart and I never got into the western scene.  To be honest... even as a young child, I didn't like playing cowboys and Indians.  While all the other kids got to be either a cowboy or Indian.... I always got picked as the cook.   LOL

Peter

Offline oldskiis

• Hoser Family Member
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2017, 02:18:44 PM »
     As Peter noted, it is a family event, mostly PG rating, which I always found interesting being in Elko and the connections all western town brothels had to the history of cowboys , miners, loggers, and the over all history of the settlement and civilization of the Western Frontier.  But most of the poetry will be about horses and dogs and apple pie and Mom, not very much about the ladies of pleasure that eased the loneliness of harsh life without feminine charms or companionship. 
      Horses lend themselves better to a family poetry event than do courtesans, but we have lost a lot of the understanding of how sex work evolved in the American West and not without coincidence but women had far more legal rights in the West than back in the genteel states of civilization.  And we finally became civilized enough that society got rid of the brothels, heaven forbid, and nice cowboys do not really go to those places or sit on their horses out in the weather and dream of the last tender touch they ever had.   

Online Elkogfe

• Hoser Family Member
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2017, 10:53:00 PM »
+1
It is a fun time and we do get lots of very nice cowboys.. there is even a song that they wrote about mona’s.

Yes we are fully staffed hen two with usually 2 full houses..

Hope to see you call em anytime
Buddy!

Louis

Offline monaselko

• Hoser Family Member
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2017, 04:26:25 PM »
Almost Cowboy Poetry time, I hope to see some of you visit us :) :)

Zedshead

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2017, 05:42:52 PM »
Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, for the excellent intel. I won't be able to swing it this year, but it will be on my list for 2019.

Happy New Year everyone!

Zed

Offline monaselko

• Hoser Family Member
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2017, 06:08:47 PM »
Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, for the excellent intel. I won't be able to swing it this year, but it will be on my list for 2019.

Happy New Year everyone!

Happy New Year Zedshead!!

Zed