Author Topic: Driving/Flying from SLC, UT to Elko, NV  (Read 389 times)

Offline NightTraveler

• Lookie-Loo
Driving/Flying from SLC, UT to Elko, NV
« on: January 05, 2024, 09:48:58 AM »
I am debating with myself whether I want to fly into Elko, NV directly or drive from SLC, UT instead. There's a lot of snow activity that is forecasted and I'm not familiar with putting chains on my tires however I do have an AWD suv. My questions are, if I elect to drive, do they usually require chains even though I have an AWD vehicle and secondly do they normally close I-80 going both directions due to snow conditions? Do flights normally get canceled going to SLC and/or Elko, NV?

Any and all input - greatly appreciated.

Offline wb69

• Regular
Re: Driving/Flying from SLC, UT to Elko, NV
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2024, 11:44:35 AM »
Most states NO chains if 4 wheel drive. Some states you must have chains even if you don't use them and are not 4wd.

Offline cactus Jack

• Hoser Family Member
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2024, 01:41:29 PM »
Take a look at the Nv Dot web site. They have road cameras and road conditions. Looks like if you have 4 wheel drive and snow tires you don't need chains. I always carry chains even though I have 4 wheel drive and good tires for snow. They are not hard to put on. Just practice putting them on at home first.

I was in Elko last February when there was a snow storm. I 80 was closed at the NV CA boarder, but open to Ut. I couldn't take my usual route home to LA, but could go east on I 80 then south towards Ely.

You never know about the weather. Be sure and check before you go. I have been to Elko 4 times in February, and last year was the first time snow was a factor. I'm going again next month. Driving from Sol Cal.

Offline NightTraveler

• Lookie-Loo
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2024, 03:27:10 PM »
Thank you both, I didn't think about the DOT website and perhaps practicing prior but great info. 👍

Offline SMRKIA

• Hoser Family Member
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2024, 03:39:35 PM »
I’ve flown to Elko 3 times. Never any problems with cancellations/delays. However I think one of the girls told me a story about her outbound Elko flight (to SLC) being cancelled, but cancellations happen everywhere. Only thing is with Elko a cancelled flight means you are not getting a flight that day as there is just the 1, they can’t reroute you or put you on a later flight, so you’d be stuck until the next day.

There is a sign that says “Chains or snow tires required when flashing” along I-80 (also seen the same sign on the road out to Pahrump) so one or the other, so like the others have said if you have snow tires you’ll be fine.

I’ve never heard of I-80 being closed between Elko and SLC, now I-80 near the CA/NV border… different story.

It sounds like you are just hoping in your car and driving, so maybe you have some flexibility to postpone your trip if the weather is questionable. But from what I understand the DOTs in Utah and Nevada are very well on top of things, keeping the roads cleared.

I tend to elect to fly into Elko if I’m visiting during the winter months, but I’ve never heard of anyone having real problems driving to Elko anytime of year.

Offline NightTraveler

• Lookie-Loo
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2024, 08:28:08 PM »
Thank you! This is detailed and helpful. I'm going to hope my all season tires will work and I'll plan on flying into Reno or Las Vegas instead and then figure it out. Decisions, decisions lol .. thanks again all.

Offline JimDiGriz

• High Roller
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2024, 08:29:40 PM »
The others can correct me if I'm wrong, but I've driven from SLC to Wells and it was mostly flat the whole way.  Although I do remember some hills around Wendover.  This won't affect your decision to use chains, but if you drive you shouldn't have to worry about sliding down a hill.

Offline Mr. Lloyd

• Regular
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2024, 06:55:13 AM »
As JimDiGriz says, it is mostly flat. There are a few hilly areas, and I have seen signs about using chains, but 80 is a major highway. A lot of effort goes in to keeping it passable. It's definitely possible to have snow issues on the drive, but seems uncommon. That DOT website is great and has helped my peace of mind on a few winter trips.

I've only ever had one issue flying in or out of Elko, a delay that caused me to miss my connection in SLC. I was able to get on a later flight and arrive home about 8 hours later than planned, not too bad all in all. As others have said, though, if that one flight out of Elko is cancelled there isn't much you can do, unless your connecting flight is late enough that you can get to SLC by ground and still catch it.

Offline sk

• Lookie-Loo
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2024, 02:38:02 PM »
Just completed the drive from SLC to Elko. It was a bit of an adventure. I got to SLC around 8:30am and it was snowing. The roads were slushy, but I stuck with my Toyota Corolla rental instead of letting them gouge me on a 4x4 upgrade. It wasn't long on I-80 before I saw the first car in the ditch and some miles further there was a really horrible accident with a pickup that flipped over and rolled in the median. An ambulance was on the scene, but the occupants had yet to be extracted. About a mile later there was a jack knifed semi. I don't know if the two were related. Only one lane was really usable and sometimes I had to slow down into the 40s. But once past Aragonite everything was fine all the way to Elko, though there was a good bit of snow in Pequop Pass, but the salt trucks were out there and the roads ok.

I have never driven here in winter. In this type of wide open landscape you can really see how the mountain ranges stop the cloud fronts in their tracks. It was sunny up to Elko and then from a distance you could see a big mass of clouds smashed into the Ruby Mountains and so snow was falling in town. I guess I would say it can be chancy in winter here for sure. Hopefully, I'm lucky heading back. I can see how things could easily turn into a nightmare under certain conditions.

Offline NightTraveler

• Lookie-Loo
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2024, 10:55:34 AM »
Thank you Everyone for your input which is beyond appreciated. We'll see if I can make it in February or not.