Author Topic: Carson City  (Read 11001 times)

Offline Interested bystander

• Hoser Family Member
Re: Carson City
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2009, 09:13:05 PM »
I agree that Costco has good muffins but any other posts about costco or fried chicken should probably go in another thread so this one doesn't get derailed any more than it already is.  Thanks.

Jane.Doe

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2009, 11:30:31 PM »
Where's this bakery at?  Do they have good muffins?

Very good muffins fresh out of the oven...everything is baked on the premesis..

they don;t have a website up yet....You know where Gotchalks use to be in Carson, in the same mall in the back.

http://photos.aroundcarson.com/details/flickr3611001309

http://www.yelp.com/biz/paul-schats-bakery-carson-city

I love the place and it;s only been open a few days some of these peps need to give them a break for crying out loud. The guys shows up when the store is 1 hr from closing for Cinnimon rolls and mad that they don't have them come on..............

Offline Interested bystander

• Hoser Family Member
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2009, 07:47:10 AM »
Thanks, yes, I know where that is.  I'll let the excitement die down and then give them a try.

southernmost

Re: Carson City - Genoa Bar
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2009, 07:35:05 PM »
Best Bar - Genoa Bar Genoa NV
Isn't that suppose to be the oldest bar in the United states?
[/quote]

oldest in NV, but still a grrreat place to park your butt and locals don't seem to bite it off

imagine in winter, with wood burning stove goin', would be a grrreat place to park a southernmost chilly body

somewhere I have a pic documenting drafts, but can't find it at moment, but a brew is mandatory - a must see against that "hill"

Offline bones

• Hoser Family Member
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2009, 09:56:31 AM »
Speaking of wood burning stoves, don't see many in businesses. A couple I do recall and found nice and warming were in the Big 4 and Greenlantern in Ely.

afriend

Re: Carson City - Genoa Bar
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2009, 10:01:38 AM »
oldest in NV, but still a grrreat place to park your butt and locals don't seem to bite it off

imagine in winter, with wood burning stove goin', would be a grrreat place to park a southernmost chilly body

somewhere I have a pic documenting drafts, but can't find it at moment, but a brew is mandatory - a must see against that "hill"

Hill you say?  Isn't it more like a mountain?

Take care,
afriend

afriend

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2009, 10:07:23 AM »
Here is a picture of the Genoa Saloon.

SIDEWINDER

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2009, 05:11:58 PM »
Here is a picture of the Genoa Saloon.

Genoa would be a nice place to live. I like the area alot. It's far enough out to get aways from all the congestion but not too far out that it's difficult to go into carson city.

afriend

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2009, 07:04:19 PM »
Genoa would be a nice place to live. I like the area alot. It's far enough out to get aways from all the congestion but not too far out that it's difficult to go into carson city.

The only problem with places like Genoa is the high cost of housing.  Even a very modest home there I've seen them priced in the mid 6 figure dollar range.  Minden and Gardnerville just a few more miles away is much more reasonably priced.  But I always am concerned about water whenever I look at housing in Nevada.  If I did not have the place I have now, I'd move out there somewhere... once I was convinced that water was not an issue.

afriend

SIDEWINDER

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2009, 08:20:10 AM »

The only problem with places like Genoa is the high cost of housing.  Even a very modest home there I've seen them priced in the mid 6 figure dollar range.  Minden and Gardnerville just a few more miles away is much more reasonably priced.  But I always am concerned about water whenever I look at housing in Nevada.  If I did not have the place I have now, I'd move out there somewhere... once I was convinced that water was not an issue.

afriend

Water? All my relatives in Ohio always thought, if it didn't rain in a week, they were in a drought.  I wouldn't worry as much about water as Nevada becoming so cash strapped, they have to start charging state income taxes and property taxes. The very reason many people moved to nevada.
BTW: It's good to see that you have been out and about looking at some of rural Nevada. If ya ever get a chance, head up toward topaz lake. Some beautiful country and don't forget to visit sharkey's.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 08:40:48 AM by SIDEWINDER »

shooter

« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2009, 08:57:58 AM »

afriend

The water issue in Nevada can be a problem in places like Las Vegas.  I live 85 miles from there and we have enough water to nearly double our population.  Plus no snow! I am very happy living out here.

SIDEWINDER

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2009, 09:14:32 AM »
All the times I've been in vegas, I've been eveywhere except out your ways. I'll have to make sure and get out there on my next trip. A real nice little town that is not far from vegas is Boulder, NV. It looks nice and clean and only about 20 miles from Vegas.

shooter

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2009, 09:23:54 AM »
Well if you head up my way , we can get together for diet cokes and lunch. I will show you where the best machines in town are.

afriend

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2009, 12:22:43 PM »
Water? All my relatives in Ohio always thought, if it didn't rain in a week, they were in a drought.  I wouldn't worry as much about water as Nevada becoming so cash strapped, they have to start charging state income taxes and property taxes. The very reason many people moved to nevada.
BTW: It's good to see that you have been out and about looking at some of rural Nevada. If ya ever get a chance, head up toward topaz lake. Some beautiful country and don't forget to visit sharkey's.

Water is a concern when there is not an ongoing natural supply available, or is susceptible to shortages because of lack of rainfall or snow melt.  You, Flyfisher and I even had a conversation at Scruples about western water rights a couple of years ago as I recall.

I live on top of one of the oldest ancient aquifers (Teays) and this area is blessed with an abundance of water.  The Great Lakes to the north are some of the largest fresh water supplies in the world.  I have a well that produces at least 15 gallons per minute.  I use reverse osmosis to process for drinking and cooking since I live in a somewhat rural area.  A couple of miles from my home is a bottler of water sold throughout the US.  The EPA and others have said that this area has some of the purest water available in the US.  The pumping capacity of wells located in that area can pump up to 1,000 gallons per minute.  I also don't have to pay for water usage, just the equipment to process it.

Currently Nevada is in an area that has a lot of unemployment, as does Ohio.  But obviously they are for different reasons.  If Nevada were to start taxing income then their population would dwindle in a number of areas throughout the state I believe.

I've been to Topaz Lake whenever I go to Yosemite, but since I'm not much of a gambler I've not stopped at Sharkey's.  Mono Lake is also an interesting place. 

If there was an easy direct route to get to Interstate 80 Exit 28, Dayton would also be a nice rural area of Nevada worth considering.  There is Six Mile Canyon road (SR79) from there that takes you to the center of Virginia City and is a nice, but winding road.  Nevada is like some other areas of the country where there are natural impements to the development of roads.  In Nevada it's mountains, Chicago it's the lake, etc... etc...

afriend

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2009, 12:25:30 PM »
  The water issue in Nevada can be a problem in places like Las Vegas.  I live 85 miles from there and we have enough water to nearly double our population.  Plus no snow! I am very happy living out here.
Double what? 5 to 10 thousand or 5 to 10 million?  It makes a big difference.  Where does your water come from?