Author Topic: International Travelers  (Read 2912 times)

Offline georoc01

• Hoser Family Member
Re: International Travelers
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2015, 05:02:33 AM »
I am trying to figure out where to Go on My Next Trip .. Philippines or Thailand .  Sidewinder get a life You have just Proven to those of Us who Have traveled International . That You Have never seen Real Poverty like they have in Brasil or Mexico .

Or Haiti, or many others. I remember my first trip to Belize and we were doing a tour out of Belize City and It reminded me of a roughest parts of Miami, with bars on all of the windows and heavy gates on the doors.

Then our tour guide told us we were leaving the nicer part of the city and crossing a bridge over to the poorer part of the city which was essentially the worst shanty town I'd ever seen. After that I truly appreciated how great we have it here in the USA.

SIDEWINDER

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2015, 06:38:41 AM »
From what I understand, Cuba doesn't have any homeless in the streets. Can we say the same?

Nelspot

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2015, 02:17:06 PM »
"I've never been to Spain ... but I've been to Oklahoma"  (couldn't resist).

Mexico once, Canada several times.  I do recommend old Montreal and Quebec City for what it's worth.

Offline Jack Rackham

• Hoser Family Member
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2015, 03:34:02 PM »
No but I've been in Texas. Does that count as a foreign country?

Seriously, I would like to go to Cuba.

I would like to go to Cuba too. See the old cars, eat the local food, go to the local bars and drink the local brew (probably good Russian Vodka), buy cigars, look at the architecture before the investors come in and change it all.... and then go back in 15 years and see how it has changed.

I've been to Ireland (want to go back again), Canada, Mexico, UK (London and Edinburgh), Costa Rica, Sweden, Latvia, Poland, Finland.

Would love to go to Africa (want to go with me, Ruby?) Probably South Africa though where there are fewer terrorists and less Ebola.

JR

FredT

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2015, 04:45:03 PM »
From what I understand, Cuba doesn't have any homeless in the streets. Can we say the same?

SURE we could!   Just have the cops sweep them all up and put them in camps just like they do.    ;D

Offline Canoe

• Regular
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2015, 06:04:26 PM »
There were no homeless in the USSR. But those convicted of being "work-shy" ended up in the Gulag. Same thing happens in most Communist countries. Those who don't work are locked up. The standard of living in the Soviet Union was marginally adequate. If you like living on bread, potatoes, cheap low-quality booze, and such, you got by. If you like an occasional steak or a Big Mac, pay through the nose, if you can get it at all. Capitalism leaves some people behind. But it treats most of us better than any other system ever designed. And a lot of our homeless have problems we cannot fix: drugs, alcohol, mental illness, criminal behavior choices. Cuba, like North Korea, the USSR, and other workers paradises, is a damn nightmare.

Offline Canoe

• Regular
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2015, 06:30:40 PM »
Ruby, my apologies for helping hijack your thread.
Africa: amazing beauty, poverty like you cannot imagine. South Africa is possibly the most frightening urban place on earth at night, if you get outside the gated/guarded areas. A friend had her earrings pulled right out of the ears. The hotel staff thought she was very lucky to have avoided further physical harm. Criminals sometimes wait outside tourist destinations, just waiting.
Antarctica is very expensive to get to. The cruises on its coast are incredible, but will cost lots of bucks. Lots.
Iceland is beautiful. Hot springs, geysers, mountains, hiking and kayaking. Winter is brutal, long stormy, and dark. Summer is short but beautiful. Much like interior Alaska. It's pricey too. Reykjavik is a hopping city, great nightlife. Haven't been there since 2009. But I'd go back!

SIDEWINDER

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2015, 06:38:24 PM »
Capitalism leaves some people behind. But it treats most of us better than any other system ever designed.

[/Not as wealth keeps shifting from the poor and middle class to the rich.  Also as legislation is slowly passed in every state making it more difficult for the working class to fight back.size]

Ruby Rae

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2015, 12:15:33 AM »
I didn't realize I posted this in Fight Club.

Oh, wait a minute....I DIDN'T.

Please, kindly, shut your mouths about poverty and Cuba, and anything else Sidewinder wants to fight about, and answer my questions :(

For those of you who have been to Africa, care to tell me what you did/how it was/etc.?

JSBach

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2015, 04:14:36 AM »
Ruby, do you read any travel blogs? There are a lot of people who travel full-time and write about their experiences online. You might find it easier to get the kind of information you want from those sites. The sites I read have covered South Africa and Iceland recently. The articles generally include information like where to stay, what to do, how much it costs, etc. They also usually have a lot of pictures. If you're interested, I will PM you some links.

sperminator

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2015, 05:15:57 AM »
Have any of you been to....

- Africa?
- Antartica?
- Iceland?

I would love to hear your experience.

Never been to Iceland, But have done the Ice Bar in both NYC & Vegas.

Never been to Antarctica. But I've seen the Vice episode about the Ice Caps melting there.

Never been to Africa. But been to a few Black Strip Clubs. And the Middle East, which is practically a neighbor of Africa.

Went there as part of a Martial Arts thing, spent nearly a year in Israel and visiting the surrounding region. Being a White American - especially a New York'er - made me and the friend I was travelling with very popular. I absolutely LOVED my time in Israel, particularly Tel Aviv & Jerusalem which was a lot like Manhattan (only cleaner), and Haifa which was kind of like the California coast but way more beautiful. Seriously, it was the most amazing City I've ever been to. Like something right out of Game of Thrones. But with white sand beaches and amazing nightlife.

I fell in love for the 1st time there and still keep in touch with the girl. I've also kept in touch with two of the Israeli Commandos who were some of our instructors (Krav Maga mostly). They visited Vegas a few months back and we hung out a bit. It brought back so many good memories. I really want to go back soon.

Done Canada & Mexico a few times. Also visited Korea and other parts of Asia, but those were very quick trips, not a lot to report. I plan on visiting Japan and Thailand in the next year or two. Tokyo and Bangkok to be more exact. Those will be extended vacations and I can't wait. I absolutely love travel. Try to do at least one road trip or weekend getaway every 6 weeks or so. Been to around 35 of the 50 States so far. Good chance of a week in Hawaii this Summer.

Ruby Rae

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2015, 04:10:48 PM »
Ruby, do you read any travel blogs? There are a lot of people who travel full-time and write about their experiences online. You might find it easier to get the kind of information you want from those sites. The sites I read have covered South Africa and Iceland recently. The articles generally include information like where to stay, what to do, how much it costs, etc. They also usually have a lot of pictures. If you're interested, I will PM you some links.

Oh I definitely know my way around the Internet and researching what I need to know - I was more so trying to start a conversation on this board that was interesting to me, and get some insight from people I might know (at least know over the Internet). And yes, PM those links please and thank you! :)

ancient mariner

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2015, 04:30:21 PM »
I didn't realize I posted this in Fight Club.

Oh, wait a minute....I DIDN'T.

Please, kindly, shut your mouths about poverty and Cuba, and anything else Sidewinder wants to fight about, and answer my questions :(

For those of you who have been to Africa, care to tell me what you did/how it was/etc.?

Standard internet foolishness, anyway, to return to the topic:

Africa-Egypt, Tunisia, Morocco and Kenya.

I'd give North Africa a miss just now, Kenya might be OK, especially if you stick to organized tourist operations (photo safaris and the like).

Egypt: Pyramids, Valley of the Kings, Aswan, Qatarrah Depression, El Alemain. People were generally friendly, there was a cholera epidemic at the time, so we stuck to a limited number of dining and drinking establishments in Cairo and Port Said, such as Shepheard's (historically interesting, too, British HQ billeting in WWI and WWII, allegedly the origin of the drink known as a Horse's Neck). There was a pretty cool little aquarium in Port Said. I don't know what it's like now, but at the time, it was illegal to take photographs of anything of military significance (this included the anti-aircraft batteries that ere all over both cities, the port, the Suez Canal, bridges and tunnels) or anything reflecting poverty. This pretty much confined picture taking to the Pyramids, the El Alemain battlefield and the Qattarrah Depression (not that this actually stopped us).

Tunisia: Tunis (used to four really good bars on opposite corners of the main square, run by French expatriates), toured Carthage, the grand harbor, Kasserine Pass (if you saw Patton, this is where the movie starts). Again people were friendly, Tunis was quite cosmopolitan.

Morocco: Casablanca, not bad, went to the Souk, which was interesting, looked at the sites for the Torch landings, never did find Rick's Place.

Kenya: Mombasa was cut short by events elsewhere, mostly drank beer. Guys kept trying to trade AK-47s for shoes, which was a bit strange.

Westcoastclimb

« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2015, 02:50:37 PM »
I took a trip to South Africa to climb in a place called Rocklands.  Oddly enough the climbing is in a desert/foot lands area that is remarkably similar to Red Rocks outside of Vegas.  For what it is worth, Cape Town is a really cool city, but definitely your typical Africa trip with safaris, etc