Author Topic: Mt. Charleston Area  (Read 2870 times)

Tessa Joy

Mt. Charleston Area
« on: May 25, 2013, 06:08:56 PM »
+1
I'm looking forward to doing some hiking in the Mt. Charleston area on my way to Angel's Ladies!   I haven't been up there since last summer and am ready for more hiking there.  It's one of the most beautiful places I've ever been to.  Plus, the weather should be great there this time of year, about 20-30 degrees cooler than in Vegas.  That's why I refer to go there in the late spring or summer rather than winter.  However, if you're a skier, you'll probably have a great time there in winter.  Has anybody been to this area?

Max Wood

Re: Mt. Charleston Area
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 07:34:55 PM »
I've hiked to the top once, several years ago.  My favorite part is when you get to where the bristlecone pine trees are.  There was also some wreckage from a small plane crash many years ago.  What a fantastic resource.  Have fun!

Tessa Joy

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 08:16:01 PM »
Thanks, Max.  There definitely are a lot of pine trees and pine cones in this area.  Interesting because it's right outside of the desert, but doesn't look at all like desert.

Max Wood

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 08:40:44 PM »
I think the scientists would say that because of the elevation it is actually a different climate zone.  My favorite hike is to drive up as if you were going to the lodge, but where you normally turn left, just keep going straight and then turn right into the residential area, and there is a trailhead on your left.  With any luck I'll be there in 10 days or so.  Do you think there is still any snow?

Tessa Joy

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 08:48:25 PM »
Yeah, that's what I was thinking too.  Because of the higher elevation, this area isn't as hot and could get more precipitation, such as a lot of snow in the winter which Vegas hardly ever gets. This could lead to more trees and vegetation.  I notice this when I'm hiking at Red Rock too. I now when I'm getting close to a stream because there's all of a sudden a lot of greenery around. 

I don't know if there's still snow up in the Mt. Charleston area.  My guess is that there might be at the highest elevations, but not everywhere else as it will be June next week.  There might not still be any snow at all.  Please let us know how your trip up there goes.

SIDEWINDER

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 08:55:44 PM »
I don't know if it's true or not but someone told me you could see all the Vegas lights at night from Mt. Charleston.

Tessa Joy

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 09:50:53 PM »
Not sure if the Vegas lights are visible from the top of Mt. Charleston. I've never hiked the Mt. Charleston area at night before.  What a view that would be!

Max Wood

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2013, 09:57:55 PM »
+1
Here's a YouTube video showing the summit panorama during midday.

Offline bones

• Hoser Family Member
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2013, 09:38:43 AM »
Far too long since you graced us with your messages Tessa. Hope all is well and enjoy the hike.

Offline Armond

• Hoser Family Member
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2013, 12:18:33 PM »
Enjoy your hike Tessa, and I hope to see you at Angels, happy you joined them.  How about an outdoor party at the water springs you and me?  Armond

Tessa Joy

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2013, 09:07:46 PM »
Hi Bones:

All is well with me and I hope with you also.  I appreciate your kind messages.

Tessa Joy

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2013, 09:09:59 PM »
Thank would be great, Armond!  The natural hot springs is one of the wonderful amenities at Angel's Ladies.

Enjoy your hike Tessa, and I hope to see you at Angels, happy you joined them.  How about an outdoor party at the water springs you and me?  Armond

Gobemouche

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2013, 01:12:42 AM »
I go hiking all of the time when the weather is nice. If it is not then I move to a higher elevation to remain cool. My girlfriend has a special log that brings a smile to her face every time she sees a picture of it. Funny thing was she was much quieter than usual. I kept wanting her to cry out so it would echo through the canyons....

I went and scouted a new location today on the back side of the mountain headed into Pahrump.

Have to head to Pahrump anyway right?   

Offline bones

• Hoser Family Member
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2013, 09:20:30 AM »
Think I might have ask you this before, but have you tried Mt. Wheeler trails? Yup some nice hikes and can see Brislecone Pines on one. Then there's the cave in the NP. There's a public location to look and find garnets, and other trails and mountain spots around Ely.

Tessa Joy

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2013, 03:21:15 PM »
Hi bones:
I haven't heard of Mt. Wheeler, but seems like it's worth looking into.  Thank you for the info.