Author Topic: How to correct quoting problems  (Read 1415 times)

afriend

How to correct quoting problems
« on: October 16, 2009, 07:15:54 AM »
I've noticed that there are times when posting that the quoted text is not complete or correctly displayed. 

The problem is always related to the beginning [quot e] or ending [/quot e] either missing, or a bracket missing from them, or after the date. (I've inserted a space here so it would display the text instead of an actual quote).

What happens is that when you start typing after pressing "quote", the software appears to "sometimes" take out the last bracket ] by overwriting it.  I've found that I have to first "right arrow" over before typing to prevent it or go back and reinsert it so that it displays correctly. Then preview to verify that it fixed it before posting.

Below is an example of a correct quote from a recent post of Shooter. Incorrect examples are included further below.

Well it is about damn time!

Below is how the text should look. I've inserted a space before "e" from the word "quote" so that the text appears instead.

[quot e] author=shooter link=topic=337.msg2888#msg2888 date=1255620426]
[/quote]

[/quote ...The quote would have ended here if the last bracket ] were not missing after the word quote.

A similar thing happens if you remove the author line.

(The above shows the quote box around all of the text because a [/quot e] was included at the end of the text).

Here is how it would look if the bracket was omitted after the date.

author=shooter link=topic=337.msg2888#msg2888 date=1255620426
[/quote ...The quote would have ended here if the last bracket ] were not missing after the word quote.

(The above also shows the quote box around all of the text because a [/quot e] was included at the end of the text).

Below is how it would look if the ending [quot e] was missing or incorrect.

[quote ] author=shooter link=topic=337.msg2888#msg2888 date=1255620426]

Hope this helps explain how to correct, and why it happens.

afriend