Author Topic: Open carry/Conceal carry  (Read 1395 times)

Ed1032

Open carry/Conceal carry
« on: October 01, 2018, 07:30:40 PM »
I’m going to check out some ghost towns throughout Nevada on my trip to Elko later this year. I’ll be traveling alone and am considering bringing my pistol with me, just in case. I figure I’ll be in some out of the way places by myself, and i think better safe than sorry. Am I being paranoid or just careful?

I’m from California, so I’ll be open carrying with a waist holster.

Also, it looks like out of state residents can take a training course and get a CCW permit for Nevada. Does anyone here know about that? If that’s true, I would definitely look into doing that on my trip too.

Offline Wildfire

• Hoser Family Member
Re: Open carry/Conceal carry
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 07:53:11 PM »
+1
I’m going to check out some ghost towns throughout Nevada on my trip to Elko later this year. I’ll be traveling alone and am considering bringing my pistol with me, just in case. I figure I’ll be in some out of the way places by myself, and i think better safe than sorry. Am I being paranoid or just careful?

Also, it looks like out of state residents can take a training course and get a CCW permit for Nevada. Does anyone here know about that? If that’s true, I would definitely look into doing that on my trip too.

Well I think you would be asking for trouble an out of state person openly carrying a gun .  I would say you're being paranoid .   But getting a Nevada CCW would be the best if you feel the need to carry a gun.

Ed1032

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 08:06:51 PM »

Well I think you would be asking for trouble an out of state person openly carrying a gun .  I would say you're being paranoid .   But getting a Nevada CCW would be the best if you feel the need to carry a gun.

Maybe I should clarify, I’m planning on carrying when out in the middle of nowhere. In towns and populated areas the gun will stay locked up in the car. I’m curious why you think an out of state resident would get any more trouble than a Nevada resident.

Offline cronuswalker

• Hoser Family Member
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 09:11:02 PM »

Maybe I should clarify, I’m planning on carrying when out in the middle of nowhere. In towns and populated areas the gun will stay locked up in the car. I’m curious why you think an out of state resident would get any more trouble than a Nevada resident.

IDK, depends on what you were doing and the officer. Nevada does issue Nevada CCW to non-residents, however you must take training here in Nevada from certified instructor and apply in person. As far as locked up in the car, and you do not have a valid CCW i would have a gun safe lockbox, not just under the seat or glovebox and doors locked. Also it takes approx. 6 to 10 weeks to receive the CCW upon submission of documents.

Ed1032

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2018, 10:02:54 PM »

IDK, depends on what you were doing and the officer. Nevada does issue Nevada CCW to non-residents, however you must take training here in Nevada from certified instructor and apply in person. As far as locked up in the car, and you do not have a valid CCW i would have a gun safe lockbox, not just under the seat or glovebox and doors locked. Also it takes approx. 6 to 10 weeks to receive the CCW upon submission of documents.

Thanks for the info, I saw those instructions on multiple course providers’ sites. I was thinking it’d be good to have just in case, especially since the Nevada CCW license is recognized in 35 other states too. And it’s not outrageously expensive, so that’s a plus.

Yeah, I personally always travel with guns secured in the trunk. I believe that’s actually the law in California. And as with all things related to police, not just guns, things will depend on the citizen and the officer.

I was wondering if there were any people out there who had experience getting a CCW permit in Nevada, whether residents or not, and anyone who travels with their firearms, whether for sport or security.

goldie

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2018, 11:08:10 PM »
I just renewed my CCW and it took 12 weeks to get my ID in the mail.

As long as you don’t conceal it on your person, you do not need CCW in Nevada. You can have it in your car, glove box, etc...just not concealed on your body.

And being an open carry state, as long as it’s a legally registered weapon, you don’t need any special authorization to open carry.

Goldie

Ed1032

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2018, 01:51:33 AM »

As long as you don’t conceal it on your person, you do not need CCW in Nevada. You can have it in your car, glove box, etc...just not concealed on your body.

And being an open carry state, as long as it’s a legally registered weapon, you don’t need any special authorization to open carry.

Goldie

Thanks for the info Goldie, much appreciated.

Offline ChicagoBob

• Horn Dog
  • Hoser Family Member
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2018, 03:23:50 AM »
I've hiked the back country of Nevada for many years.  The only trouble you'll ever have is snakes and scorpions. 
History will absolve me

Twitter@ChicagoBob6969

grizzly_1829

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2018, 10:33:14 AM »
+1
Nevada recognizes the State of Kansas CCH. I also am LEO Weapons qualified. Next trip to Nevada I plan on carrying my Glock 17, because the local range in Reno does a competition Glock shoot and I plan to do some shooting while in town. 

Offline MrTShirt

• Hoser Family Member
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2018, 11:52:19 AM »

Goldie

Oh, oh.  I better put Goldie on my Christmas card list.   :)
ProstiDUDE Ranch Mgr. - the 26 incher
88% of millionaires used hard work, 12% inherited it
404D4F53534144333837

goldie

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2018, 05:14:43 PM »
Nevada recognizes the State of Kansas CCH. I also am LEO Weapons qualified. Next trip to Nevada I plan on carrying my Glock 17, because the local range in Reno does a competition Glock shoot and I plan to do some shooting while in town.

Oh yes, lots of states honor Nevada CCW...check this site. All states in blue honor Nevada’s CCW

http://gunsguitars.com/nevada-concealed-carry-reciprocity-maps.html

wayne208

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2018, 06:35:33 PM »
Grizzly   Good Luck at the Shooting Range . IMHO You Picked a fine weapon to Compete with . Goldie Thank You for Your Great Information .. 8)

Offline Bigfoot

• Regular
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2018, 08:44:51 PM »
Here's a list of the out of state permits that are honored in Nevada.

http://rccd.nv.gov/Resources/Carry_Concealed_Weapon_(CCW)_Permit/

Offline temp

• High Roller
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2018, 06:45:19 AM »
Here's a list of the out of state permits that are honored in Nevada.

http://rccd.nv.gov/Resources/Carry_Concealed_Weapon_(CCW)_Permit/

I am surprised that among the big blue states with strict permitting laws,
Nevada recognizes Illinois, but not California (right next door) nor New York.

wayne208

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2018, 08:26:24 AM »
Temp .. I was told that It is all Politics between California and Nevada .. I do know that a friend of mine who lives in Pahrump is tired of the liberal Californians moving there .. Besides who could put Up with Brown as a Governor  :o