Author Topic: interesting blog about the luxury watch industry  (Read 449 times)

Rolex79

interesting blog about the luxury watch industry
« on: April 13, 2019, 06:28:06 AM »
Here is the video it talks about the traps of buying new versus preowned.

Lingua Frenulum

Re: interesting blog about the luxury watch industry
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 05:06:47 PM »
I only buy fakes.

Offline highlander

• Regular
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2019, 05:46:25 PM »
I haven't worn a watch since I got a cell phone.  :P
ATF - "There can be only one"

smoothpate

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2019, 09:12:35 AM »
My everyday watches are Timexs, I have a newer black Diesel watch that I wear when I go out, and I have a 20+ year old silver Guess watch I wear on special occasions.

The one thing they all have in common with a Rolex or other "luxury" watches is THEY TELL TIME!!!

Offline georoc01

• Hoser Family Member
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 12:16:32 PM »
I'm a fan of the fitbits. Keeps my going on my step count every day. And it does make a difference for me.

Rolex79

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2019, 04:13:29 PM »
to the poster with the guess watch you are aware that there's Guess watches priced at over 10 grand and more...

smoothpate

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2019, 07:40:08 PM »
to the poster with the guess watch you are aware that there's Guess watches priced at over 10 grand and more...

When I got mine 20+ years ago, it was $80 and almost the top of the line. Hard to believe that they now go for that now.

Michael J.

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2019, 10:30:02 PM »
 Many years ago, there was an article in the Wall Street Journal about how for many years, the Swiss sat on their laurels, thinking that no one could be them at making precision timepieces.  Then  one morning someone woke up with a shock when they found that people like Citizen and Seiko were turning out quartz watches every bit as accurate as the Swiss' multi-jeweled movements. 

Rolex79

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2019, 03:36:07 PM »
Almost every brand has a collection of quartz watches their mainly marketed and targeted for the ladies no need to wind the watch if the power reserve of a mechanical movement stops after 48 or 72hrs without the watch on the wrist less trouble for women.

Offline Jack Rackham

• Hoser Family Member
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2019, 11:30:30 AM »
When I think of luxury watches, Thorstein Veblen comes to mind:

https://conspicuousconsumption.org

To each their own I guess.

The other day, I was meeting with the Budget Blinds rep because I needed to replace some shades on 10 of my windows. He wanted $17,500 for the motorized version so I could have the cool factor where people could watch them go up and down simultaneously vs. $4,500 for simple roller shades that I open and close manually. I opted for the latter. I still think I paid too much. But they are nice.

Point is, I can think of a lot more things to buy to increase my utility with the $13,000 I saved. The same goes for watches.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 11:34:34 AM by Jack Rackham »