Author Topic: CHAT & THE NATIONAL PARKS: AMERICA'S BEST IDEA  (Read 2618 times)

afriend

Re: CHAT & THE NATIONAL PARKS: AMERICA'S BEST IDEA
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2009, 08:06:30 PM »
Thanks JFD,  I've been there myself during both the summer and the winter.  Beautiful place at either time.

Was the fire an active fire or a recent one?

Join in anytime,
afriend

sportsman

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2009, 09:37:28 PM »
I thought this special Web site would eliminate the weird and wacky from posting...
Oh, well...the best and the brightest can't always win...
However, to stay on subject, the PBS / Ken Burns National Parks specials are exciting and
thought-provoking...I thought Ken Burns' tale of World War II was excellent...this one is
pretty cool!

Offline bones

• Hoser Family Member
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2009, 08:55:33 AM »
Will wait amd be looking for it to be out on DVD. Should be a good watch.

Wildfires aren't the all bad many may believe them to be, it opens the forrest area. Makes for a diverse forrest in age spread and some plant need fire as part of their natural life cycle. Also not all spots in a fire area get burned some stay undamaged while all around are black.

The one local PBS station did a WWII series where they interviewed vets from the area. It was very interesting to hear their stories and experiences. The segment on the how things of those at home had some experiences not heard before.

Offline JFD

• Lookie-Loo
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2009, 05:45:36 PM »
The fire was active when I arrived last Sunday at West Yellowstone.  It was apparently caused by a lightning strike a few days to a week earlier. It was mostly put out by firefighters and the storm that went through Wednesday. From what I heard from the rangers, it burned across the road from West Thumb to Fishing Bridge, causing this road's closure.  When I left, the road was scheduled to be closed most of the day for debris and dead tree removal.

Thought about diverting to check out the the brothels in Wells, Elko, Ely on my way home to southern California, but decided to pass.

shooter

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2009, 09:30:21 AM »
U.S. active wildfire map

http://www.geomac.gov/

Offline bones

• Hoser Family Member
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2009, 09:41:30 AM »
Gooid link shooter, hadn't looked for such a site/map before it could be handy in the future, fire season is slowing for the year.

There were a few here in UT that the FS/BLM just watched for a long time without doing much. A few blew up suddenly and turn into some real blazes.