Discussions > LPIN Specific Discussion

New Board Questions

(1/1)

JIM:
 Is there an archive option with new board?When I last searched, GpPays forums are not archived.There are some of the Nvb and
 Nvbg forums still there but not many.Will new field reports go on old board so they can be saved?

Interested bystander:
There is no message archive option with these boards.  That was discussed before I opened it up.  When the board gets so full it slows down the server then you have to "prune" it which means just that lopping off older posts.  The CW Monger's board archives will remain available but if and when that script goes away so does the ability to archive.   Now, there may be a way to backup the database, store that backup somewhere and later develop a front end to query that data.  Unfortunately I'm not a computer programmer but a lowly chemist and that is beyond my capability.  I also have to look at the amount of space data takes up on the server and the cost to keep it there.  This database format takes up A LOT more room than the HTML files that the old script was based on take up.

As to field reports, they will continue as they always have.  There is no place in this forum for posting field reports.  Field reports will be submitted as always and I will edit them an put them online in the same format and location that I've done it for 7 years now.  There is a link to the field reports at the top of this forum and even if the old script goes away that page will not, it will remain there with all of the links intact.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version