Author Topic: Basque Restaurants in Winnemucca?  (Read 1321 times)

SIDEWINDER

Basque Restaurants in Winnemucca?
« on: July 26, 2017, 07:21:14 AM »

chuckar chaser

Re: Basque Restaurants in Winnemucca?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 11:26:28 AM »
I have eaten there once I thought the food was very good. Restaurant seems to be a locals favorite.

SIDEWINDER

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 06:56:03 PM »
It must be on a side street as I've been to Winnemucca at least 100 times over the years and never remember seeing it.  I like Winnemucca. It reminds me of stepping back into the 50's as it looks like a lot of Winnemucca remains the same.

Offline Dr. Who

• Hoser Family Member
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 08:17:14 PM »
I thought the only good restaurant in Winnemucca is the Flying Pig.  8)  I always hear the guys raving about their BBQ pork.  One of these days, I have to give the Flying Pig a try ...LOL

Max Wood

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 09:08:02 PM »
I thought the only good restaurant in Winnemucca is the Flying Pig.  8)  I always hear the guys raving about their BBQ pork.  One of these days, I have to give the Flying Pig a try ...LOL

If you're driving by, The Pig is a must stop, they have something for everyone. Reasonable prices, nice people. I can never decide what to get and usually end up with a combo sandwich that has a little bit of everything. Yum!

Max Wood

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 09:19:28 PM »
Here's a menu from the Martin Hotel: http://themartinhotel.com/menu/

Another place that gets pretty good reviews is Ormacheas: https://www.yelp.com/biz/ormacheas-basque-house-winnemucca

chuckar chaser

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 04:42:05 AM »
It must be on a side street as I've been to Winnemucca at least 100 times over the years and never remember seeing it.  I like Winnemucca. It reminds me of stepping back into the 50's as it looks like a lot of Winnemucca remains the same.
It is several blocks to the south of the main Street by the railroad tracks. 

chuckar chaser

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 04:45:56 AM »
A little off subject had you seen this. Just the last couple of days.

http://mynews4.com/news/local/louis-erriguible-founder-of-louis-basque-corner-in-reno-dies-at-90

SIDEWINDER

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2017, 08:05:31 AM »
I never ate there but it's been there for as long as I can remember. They must be doing something right especially given the location on 4th street in Reno.  Another place on 4th street that people use to talk about on the board was Ed's but I haven't heard anything lately.

Offline redshift

• Lookie-Loo
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2017, 07:56:06 AM »
The Martin is great!  I stop there every time I go to Winnemucca.  Good burgers for lunch.  Dinners are very good.

Offline wrb55roscojr

• Hoser Family Member
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2017, 08:45:58 AM »
Ok ,I give up. What is a Basque restaurant ?

Offline Catrina Costa

• Working Girl
  • Regular
  • The MILF Next Door
    • Catrina Costa Personal Site
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2017, 04:13:31 PM »

The best way I can describe it is that Basque is like a cross between Spanish and French food. In my experience, it is generally served family style.
When only the best will do...

@TheCatrinaCosta | CatrinaCosta.com

Offline Armond

• Hoser Family Member
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2017, 04:46:31 PM »
I tried The Star in Elko two weeks ago when I visited Sue and Inez, per recommendation from Louis and Peter, had a really good time and the food was really awesome!!

Offline Just Tom

• Hoser Family Member
  • I'm not taking this seriously...why are you?
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2017, 07:36:36 PM »

usually it is in or near the hotel where the Basque shepherds stayed when they were in town, either coming to the pastures or going home for the season,. Being extremely active workers, the Basque sheep herders were used to large meals with several courses.  Most of the time the meal starts with salad and soup and then 2-3 more courses of beans, pasta and vegetables to the main meal of meat and potatoes, all accompanied with bread and lots of red wine. 
       In the hotels the meal was served family style, large plates of food put out for everyone to share, with refills on request, and all the shepherds/residents would come down to dinner at one time and fill in the center table.
     I haven't seen a first timer at a Basque table not founder themselves on the first courses and take their main meal home in a box.  Basque usually isn't spicy food, but it it well prepared, wholesome food, or the restaurant goes out of business. There are regional differences in what you will be served during the preliminary courses, based on the original home-region of the cook.

My advice for first timers is order the 'fixings' or the preliminary courses, rather than order that and a meal, you can always go back...... and try the lamb, it's usually got lots of garlic and it's great !.
if you can't laugh at yourself, you don't deserve to laugh at anyone else