Discussions > LPIN Specific Discussion

Why do men have nipples?

(1/4) > >>

Chloe Daniels:
There seems to be a logical explanation about why women have nipples - for babies. But why do men's bodies retain what appears to be redundant body parts? The Darwinian natural selection process would seem to dictate that male nipples really should not be there. So what's the deal? Why do men have nipples?

The answer is that as embryos men and women have similar tissues and body parts. If anything the embryo follows a 'female template'. That is why nipples are present in both sexes. It is the effect of the genes, the Y chromosome and the hormone testosterone that brings about the changes and masculines the embryo. Testosterone promotes the growth of the penis and testicles. Because nipples are there before this process begins the nipples stay!

Nipples and breast tissue have no function as such except for perhaps protecting the heart and lungs from injury

Lulz:
I love having mine sucked and licked, I don't stick things in my butt so I guess it's not gay.  :D

Chloe Daniels:
Some straight men like things in their butts! Want me to lick your nipples?

Lulz:

--- Quote from: Chloe Daniels on April 21, 2010, 09:28:00 PM ---Some straight men like things in their butts! Want me to lick your nipples?

--- End quote ---

You can do whatever you want to me.  ;)

sunseeker:

--- Quote from: Chloe Daniels on April 21, 2010, 09:22:13 PM ---There seems to be a logical explanation about why women have nipples - for babies. But why do men's bodies retain what appears to be redundant body parts? The Darwinian natural selection process would seem to dictate that male nipples really should not be there. So what's the deal? Why do men have nipples?
--- End quote ---

backup?  (in case mom dies, can't nurse, ...)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Male_lactation

search for "male breast feeding" - you'll find a lot.

There are lots of genes for nipples and breast tissues, getting rid of all those in a way linked to sexual dimorphism is hard.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version