Author Topic: Nissan leaf, not as popular as everyone thought?  (Read 1283 times)

SIDEWINDER

Nissan leaf, not as popular as everyone thought?
« on: May 20, 2015, 01:09:55 PM »
I was reading  an article on the top ten vehicles that lost their value the fastest. The Nissan Leaf was on that list which made me wonder. I went to Cars.com and looked at the prices and a two year old Leaf with 9-15 k miles on it is going for 11k or less. Wow, that's a car that was around 30 k new.  What happened, is it a car that everyone loves as long as they're getting all the government and state rebates but it doesn't appeal to people after that? Too many people leased them with the super low payment and now they're all hitting the used car market with little demand?

BTW: For the right situation, I still think they're a great car but with their limited driving miles before recharging and the price of electricity without having solar, I think it's a niche market at best and not very profitable without all the incentives..

SIDEWINDER

Re: Nissan leaf, not as popular as everyone thought?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 02:43:12 PM »
Why are we the taxpayers giving the rich who can afford these electric cars rebates, period?

If you can afford a Tesla, you don't need help from the rest of us.

I agree!

FredT

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 03:26:52 PM »
Love my Prius V,  Love the size, (big) how well it's built, its ride, and especially the 52.6 MPG  I am getting.   

(Also love the 0.0% financing and the great price I paid for a 2014 orphan) 

gas aint gonna stay down here for long... then watch out.

Mikey

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 04:23:20 PM »
Why are we the taxpayers giving the rich who can afford these electric cars rebates, period?

The government is offering incentives to get the industry started, and reduce the consumption of fossil fuels. I do agree if you can afford a Tesla you don't need a tax rebate, and around here they've become a status symbol.

Offline georoc01

• Hoser Family Member
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 04:47:56 PM »
Well, it looks like Oregon may be the first state to replace its gasoline tax with a mileage tax.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2015/05/20/oregon-gas-tax-mileage/27676973/

Nelspot

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 05:04:24 PM »
I rented a Chevy Spark (a hybrid) a couple years ago and was NOT impressed by it at all.  No guts at all -- none, zip, zilch, nada.  I had the opportunity to pull into a dealership where a couple of salesman were standing around just to ask them a question about using something on this rental, and they gave me the usual positive upsell -- "but you are getting 32 miles per gallon".  I told them I get 50 on my Prius and that shut them up real fast.  I have only seen 1 or 2 Chevy Sparks on the road since then.  I guess that the Spark, like the Nissan Leaf, just isn't selling.  And in Nevada, you just can't find lots of places to plug in your electric vehicle, and recharging takes longer than refilling.

pitasandwichpimp

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 05:26:06 PM »
Well, it looks like Oregon may be the first state to replace its gasoline tax with a mileage tax.

If tax receipts go down the tax rate will just be raised

Ultimately the working class (largest percentage of driven miles) will pay the majority of monies.

Shift means and methods but end payer is always the same.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 05:27:38 PM by COULD_CARE_LESS »

bungalow bill

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 11:58:12 PM »
Actually, I think yer right, Sidey.  I don't think the Leaf is all popular.  But I must say.....ala Ed Grimley....its a nifty little car.  I leased one last May.  3 years 220 a month.  3 grand down since they passed on my 98 Subaru for trade in. 

So I've been driving it a year.  And It's really a nice little car.  Perf for urban errand running.  A range of 80 miles, I never have to charge it in reno.  I leave home on a full tank, so to speak, and that gets it done.  Totally worthless for going to sacto or vegas.  But I got a big dog vehicle for road trips.  So the Leaf is just fine for what it is.  And I'll also report its real comfy and hauls ass.  Electric cars are not slow and they are not gutless.  The Leaf zips right along.  The Tesla screams......

Gas stations.....bye bye.  My power bill went up about 35 bucks a month charging this car.  I'm ok with that.....

SIDEWINDER

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2015, 04:48:32 AM »

If tax receipts go down the tax rate will just be raised

Ultimately the working class (largest percentage of driven miles) will pay the majority of monies.

Shift means and methods but end payer is always the same.

[/You're right. The working class often do not make the kind of money required to live close to work and often have to live several miles from where they work.size]

Offline bones

• Hoser Family Member
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2015, 09:43:55 AM »

Damn right on there and these don't end with the purchase either but have nearly equal registration fees with no/reduced road use taxes. They aren't paying a fair nor equally toward road maintenance or construction yet put as much or more wear on the roads they travel. Same for those hybrids not paying equally toward the roads, then many wonder why there's not enough $$ to really keep the roads in good condition.

Put a stiff tax on these alt power source autos at least equal to that of normal powered autos going the same distance/year is only fair.