Author Topic: Travel Questions  (Read 1428 times)

frankiethechin

Travel Questions
« on: October 23, 2016, 09:05:04 PM »
So in a couple weeeks going to be wandering from Vegas to Reno, I did the trip a few times in the past. Couldn't get a direct flight to Reno, and the layover was a little crazy, so I'm going to take the 5 or 6 hour drive north as opposed to sitting in the airport for the same time with my thumb up my ass.  95 is the quickest? 95 to 50 to 395, or 95 to 80, I figured if I was going to Elko first I would take 93. Any thoughts? Am I correct? But I want to get to reno and go to bed.

And in the evening is there anywhere good to stop and eat along the way? After a 6 hour flight and a 6 hour drive I'm probably going to be hungry at some point, don't want to stop in vegas just grab the car and haul ass. Should be on the road by 8pm.

Also staying in reno but plan on venturing to Elko, and may stay the night,  is the red lion the place to stay in elko? or any other suggestions, as 4 hours from reno to elko and 4 hours back is also quite a haul. maybe i can do it in 3 without pissing  off the highway patrol.

May only stay in elko one night maybe two, but might want to spend a few nights in elko next time around when I have more time.

Offline MrTShirt

• Hoser Family Member
Re: Travel Questions
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 09:19:24 PM »
You have a lot of options, but less time.

You can go SW through Pahrump and the NW to Reno
Stop and see CR, Sheris, LRV, ACH, WC, and on to Reno area.

You can go NW to Reno
See ACH, WC.

You can go N to I-80 and go WSW
Numerous houses to stop in and check out.

AS far as eating and hotels, Pahrump is your main option to Reno.  Other choices are basic food and sleeping, unless you go up to I-80.
ProstiDUDE Ranch Mgr. - the 26 incher
88% of millionaires used hard work, 12% inherited it
404D4F53534144333837

Offline Dr. Who

• Hoser Family Member
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 09:48:48 PM »
If you're not planning to spend time in Vegas and depending where you're coming from, another option might be to fly into Salt Lake City and drive to Elko first.  That's about a 3-1/2 hr drive from SLC to Elko.  You can spend a night or two in Elko and visit the houses before heading to Reno which is another 4 hrs drive from Elko.

Max Wood

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 09:55:50 PM »
Many folks complain about how boring and desolate the ride from Vegas to Reno is.  If you can spare an extra half hour or so you may wish to consider cutting over to 395.  Much more scenic.  You avoid the speed traps in Tonopah and Schurz, and come up through Carson City.  As for driving from Vegas to Elko, take 93, but consider switching over to 318 and 6, it's faster.  Ask Google Maps for details.

bungalow bill

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 06:41:03 AM »
if you're going to elko, then you DON'T want to hit 95.  going from LV to Elko via Reno just ain't real smart.  that's like going from New York to Washington via Pittsburgh.  why?

just get on 93.  that's where it at.  and it AIN'T no six hours, either.  figure on 8, an easy 8.  the road is wide open and quite stressless.  you'll go through a couple of little towns....Alamo, Pioche....that aren't much.  but they do have good gas stations and probably a couple little cafes.  enjoy the emptiness, the lack of assholes out there.  you'll be driving through some nice spots, like the Pahranagat National Wildlife Refuge, Crystal Springs, Cathedral Gorge State Park.  then, you'll hit highway 50.  to your right will be mighty Wheeler Peak, easily THE greatest mountain in the state of Nevada.  to your left will be a killer roadhouse called Major's Place.  by all means, stop into Major's and have a burger and a beer and enjoy the flavor of the area.  it's quite stunning and scenic out there. 

frankiethechin

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 08:17:34 AM »
Thanks Guys

FredT

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 08:35:23 AM »
Max:

Is 395 really only another 30-40 minutes over going 95?   (Never done it so it sounds interesting.)

frankiethechin

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 01:08:55 PM »
couple of years ago I drove from Reno to Temecula, took 395 all the way to 15, long drive

Max Wood

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2016, 02:41:49 PM »
Max:

Is 395 really only another 30-40 minutes over going 95?   (Never done it so it sounds interesting.)

It says 7:31 without traffic on Google Maps.  I never timed it but sounds about right.  If you're driving round trip take one route each way to break up the monotony.  And if you are a driving enthusiast cut over to 395 at Big Pine, the road is fucking awesome.  I've seen Audi R8's, Mazda Miata's, Porsches, all kinds of curve friendly cars on that stretch.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Las+Vegas,+NV/Reno,+NV/@37.8772764,-119.602058,7z/data=!4m15!4m14!1m5!1m1!1s0x80beb782a4f57dd1:0x3accd5e6d5b379a3!2m2!1d-115.1398296!2d36.1699412!1m5!1m1!1s0x809940ae9292a09d:0x40c5c5ce7438f787!2m2!1d-119.8138027!2d39.5296329!3e0!5i2

SIDEWINDER

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2016, 02:57:19 PM »
I don't know, I've drove both ways before and if you're coming from Vegas, 395 seems like your driving out of your way to me. However, 395 is beautiful. Just don't get caught in the snow on 395.

Offline ChicagoBob

• Horn Dog
  • Hoser Family Member
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2016, 03:20:54 PM »
Cutting across to 395 takes about another hour.   It's more scenic, but tedious - lots of small towns.   Do not attempt it at night.  Death Valley roads are very curvy.    I stay at Stockman's at Elko - great rooms, good food, and two blocks from the brothels.  Have fun!
History will absolve me

Twitter@ChicagoBob6969

QTo

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2016, 04:41:47 PM »
So in a couple weeeks going to be wandering from Vegas to Reno, I did the trip a few times in the past. Couldn't get a direct flight to Reno, and the layover was a little crazy, so I'm going to take the 5 or 6 hour drive north as opposed to sitting in the airport for the same time with my thumb up my ass.  95 is the quickest? 95 to 50 to 395, or 95 to 80, I figured if I was going to Elko first I would take 93. Any thoughts? Am I correct? But I want to get to reno and go to bed.

And in the evening is there anywhere good to stop and eat along the way? After a 6 hour flight and a 6 hour drive I'm probably going to be hungry at some point, don't want to stop in vegas just grab the car and haul ass. Should be on the road by 8pm.

Also staying in reno but plan on venturing to Elko, and may stay the night,  is the red lion the place to stay in elko? or any other suggestions, as 4 hours from reno to elko and 4 hours back is also quite a haul. maybe i can do it in 3 without pissing  off the highway patrol.

May only stay in elko one night maybe two, but might want to spend a few nights in elko next time around when I have more time.

Unless you're speeding the whole way, you're unlikely able to do the Vegas to Reno drive in 5-6 hours. I'd budget at least 8 hours with a short break at Tonopah (gas up middle of town for cheapest gas) - I think I did Vegas to Moundhouse in like 6.5 hours going 10MPH above the whole way

bungalow bill

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2016, 05:24:28 PM »
reality check.....from someone who knows those southern nevada highways well.  i've spent many a winter in death valley. 

to get from 95 to 395 is NOT a half hour.  first tip--DON'T try to get to 395 via Death Valley and highway 136.  very curvy and SLOW.  scenic as fuck, but slow. 
best way to go is this......drive up 95 to nevada 264.  that's the intersection where the good ole cottontail ranch is (it's now falling apart in the desert.....sad!)  turn left there.  you'll head west until you hit Cal 168, which is the road to Big Pine and the junction of 395.  total travel time, from Cottontail Ranch to Big Pine.....90 to 100 minutes. it's a nice drive, for sure.  but think about it.  in the time it takes you to go west to big pine, you'll be about 40 miles north of tonopah on 95, about 200 miles from reno.  so really....is it worth it? 

from Big Pine, you're 220 miles from reno.  so actually, yeah, it might be worth it!  if you wanna see some new country....and there ain't no gettin' around it.....395 from Big Pine to Reno is one of the GREAT scenic highways in America.  just gorgeous Sierra Nevada scenery.  you're driving from Bishop (4200 feet above sea level) to Mammoth Lakes area (8,000 feet) and the back side of the mighty Sierras.....all on a highway that allows speeds of 80 mph, easy.  you'll go past Mono Lake, Bridgeport, Walker River Canyon zone.....fucking stunning country. 

Max Wood

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2016, 06:02:13 PM »
Two weeks ago I drove from the Chicken Ranch to Mona's in 6:02. There's less traffic at night. Watch out for coyotes.

frankiethechin

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2016, 07:16:39 PM »
Thank you everybody, hopeully I will have a blast and party my ass off.