Author Topic: Have you heard of FOSTA and SESTA?  (Read 5461 times)

Offline Sonja

• Hoser Family Member
  • Point your erection in my direction.
    • Love Ranch Vegas
Have you heard of FOSTA and SESTA?
« on: March 17, 2018, 10:03:39 AM »

These acts are misleading and unconstitutional. Under the guise of stopping sex trafficking- they will make platforms like twitter and facebook liable for anything relating to sex trafficking. Under these acts there is no distinction between sex work and sex trafficking, and social media platforms in turn will likely change community standards to ban anything sex work related.

imagine no longer being able to follow us online
imagine us unable to generate income
imagine online communities that keep us safe, gone

Having been the Poster Girl for the Linkedin Witch hunt (& now banned for life) - I know first hand the consequences of these over-the-top misdirected anti-prostitution movements.

Text RESIST to 50409 Ask the bot to write your senators- Ask them to vote NO on FOSTA (H.1865)

You can also use the vote spotter.  It tells you how your representatives voted, lets you vote on if you approve or not, helps you contact them,  as well with your opinion and input app.  It looks like this is free and you can get it in the App Store on Apple.

Offline Dr. Who

• Hoser Family Member
Re: Have you heard of FOSTA and SESTA?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 10:29:47 AM »
+1
There was another thread about FOSTA/SESTA a while back that some of us rang in on too.  I just hope that they don't get passed.

http://sex-in-nevada.net/smforum/index.php?topic=29849.msg356368#msg356368

Offline Q

• Administrator
  • Hoser Family Member
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 11:34:48 AM »
+1

Offline James_200

• Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 03:04:44 PM »
+2
Girls on twitter will stop calling themselves sex workers and start calling themselves models. They may try to change the laws but there will always be ways around it.

Offline GracePreston

• Working Girl
  • Hoser Family Member
  • Affordable Luxury
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 04:19:09 PM »
Hof is actually bragging about having 400 applicants because of it.  Does he not realize that this can affect LPIN ladies as well.. particularly those on Twitter? 
Twitter--  @TempestinaDDcup   The name has changed-- but the awesomesauce remains the same :)

Elianna

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 04:32:12 PM »
I am also interesting in the far reaching consequences. If any website is now liable for what users post, we might as well live in a totally censored state.

There will never be a million Red Umbrella March on Washington. Which btw, should be March 3rd. (International Sex Worker Rights Day)

Offline Dr. Who

• Hoser Family Member
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2018, 05:10:10 PM »

These acts are misleading and unconstitutional. Under the guise of stopping sex trafficking- they will make platforms like twitter and facebook liable for anything relating to sex trafficking. Under these acts there is no distinction between sex work and sex trafficking, and social media platforms in turn will likely change community standards to ban anything sex work related.

imagine no longer being able to follow us online
imagine us unable to generate income
imagine online communities that keep us safe, gone

Having been the Poster Girl for the Linkedin Witch hunt (& now banned for life) - I know first hand the consequences of these over-the-top misdirected anti-prostitution movements.

Text RESIST to 50409 Ask the bot to write your senators- Ask them to vote NO on FOSTA (H.1865)

You can also use the vote spotter.  It tells you how your representatives voted, lets you vote on if you approve or not, helps you contact them,  as well with your opinion and input app.  It looks like this is free and you can get it in the App Store on Apple.

Sonja, you'd better have a long talk with your boss about the potential consequences of FOSTA/SESTA!  It looks like he's one of the supporters of this based on what he's been tweeting.  :o

Offline GracePreston

• Working Girl
  • Hoser Family Member
  • Affordable Luxury
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2018, 05:34:09 PM »
The largest Indy forum in the US has just removed all advertising sections in the US.
Twitter--  @TempestinaDDcup   The name has changed-- but the awesomesauce remains the same :)

Offline Quazar

• Lookie-Loo
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2018, 05:42:13 PM »
The largest Indy forum in the US has just removed all advertising sections in the US.

Which one?

Offline Sonja

• Hoser Family Member
    • Love Ranch Vegas
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2018, 06:16:06 PM »
Sonja, you'd better have a long talk with your boss about the potential consequences of FOSTA/SESTA!  It looks like he's one of the supporters of this based on what he's been tweeting.  :o

Funny you should mention that. Just had a meeting today to talk about it. 

One reason Dennis is for it is because he has always championed the crackdown on sex traffickers.  He is also against illegal prostitution and is Pro-LEGAL prostitution. And that is a fair stance for a man who has devoted his life to legal prostitution. On those points he and I agree.

The worries I have center on social platforms that will not differentiate between the two.  Most lawmakers don't even think about the fact that there is this ONE state where prostitution is legal. When LinkedIn made me the poster girl for their "sex worker purge" - I was advertised on there as a "legal, licensed courtesan".  They didn't care.  I'm still banned for life.

It looks like this is going to pass anyway so I guess the next battle front will be (once again) defending and protecting legal prostitution.

Offline GracePreston

• Working Girl
  • Hoser Family Member
  • Affordable Luxury
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2018, 06:22:46 PM »
+1
Coming from a former Indy...

So he's got 400 applications in 24 hours.  Great.  That means about 360 ladies who are not going to have a safe way to earn income, at all.  He is cheerleading women who are being thrust into a bad situation... because as great as LPIN is... it isn't large enough to cover the need of those who may want to attempt legal work.  Hell, it was sometimes a struggle to find a place BEFORE all this blew up!!

I'm sorry-- even though I've flipped over to LPIN, I don't support something that puts my Indy sisters at an even higher risk-- and by losing safe advertising venues and screening websites.. that is EXACTLY what will happen. Plus, it will make those who traffic-- HARDER to find.   

« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 06:26:13 PM by Borg1 »

sportsguy

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2018, 07:36:31 PM »

Which one?

ter

Offline MrTShirt

• Hoser Family Member
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2018, 07:45:11 PM »

One reason Dennis is for it is because he has always championed the crackdown on sex traffickers.  He is also against illegal prostitution and is Pro-LEGAL prostitution. And that is a fair stance for a man who has devoted his life to legal prostitution. On those points he and I agree.

The worries I have center on social platforms that will not differentiate between the two.  Most lawmakers don't even think about the fact that there is this ONE state where prostitution is legal. When LinkedIn made me the poster girl for their "sex worker purge" - I was advertised on there as a "legal, licensed courtesan".  They didn't care.  I'm still banned for life.

It looks like this is going to pass anyway so I guess the next battle front will be (once again) defending and protecting legal prostitution.

I suspect you and Alice Little will be joining forces in the political arena to help people understand the difference between legal and illegal.

Maybe a class action suit?

If LinkedIn took that position toward minorities...("...I don't care if it is legal...")
ProstiDUDE Ranch Mgr. - the 26 incher
88% of millionaires used hard work, 12% inherited it
404D4F53534144333837

Offline PerpetualStudent

• Regular
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2018, 08:08:32 PM »
So that's why craigslist killed their personal ads...

Offline Sonja

• Hoser Family Member
    • Love Ranch Vegas
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2018, 08:15:17 PM »

I suspect you and Alice Little will be joining forces in the political arena to help people understand the difference between legal and illegal.

Maybe a class action suit?

If LinkedIn took that position toward minorities...("...I don't care if it is legal...")

I really love your attitude.   

Yes - what I feared would happen is happening.  The Craigslist thing.  It hurts Swingers and other "amateurs" in the sexual arena as collateral damage.  I only found out today what solid bi-partisan support it had & that there was no hope it wouldn't pass.  But here it is. Now comes the time to defend what's left.

Legal prostitution.  Gotta get a way to make it clear and announce it still exists.