Author Topic: Eating in Elko - review of a couple places  (Read 591 times)

TheImpsDelight

Eating in Elko - review of a couple places
« on: March 21, 2019, 10:50:33 AM »
+5
I finally did a trip that was more than my usual 24 hours and gone, so I had a chance to eat out a bit. There are 3 places I'd like to recommend -

The Star - Basque food and more basque food. Seriously, beware coming on anything but a completely empty stomach. I made the mistake of having a bagel for breakfast, lol. Basque means large portion sizes, apparently. For one of the two sides I got cabbage soup, which came in bowl that was probably fit for 4 people, along with french bread that comes with every meal. It's very simple soup but it lends itself very well to dipping the bread in it. Then, I got 2 "half" sandwiches, which sure looked like full sandwiches to me, I can't imagine how big the full sandwich is. I got the beef tongue and the Star Melt (aged beef french dip essentially). I highly recommend the beef tongue. As strange as it sounds it is probably the most tender cut of beef and is absolutely delicious. For dessert, I decided to get the Winnemucca coffee, which is warm coffee, anisette, another spirit that I can't remember (bourbon?), and a twist of lemon. It comes out delicious - if you like licorice at all I highly recommend it.

Odeh's Mediterranean - Mediterranean/Middle Eastern is often hit and miss in America, but when done well I love it. Odeh's definitely does it well. I ended up getting the shawrma with their homemade pita, and homemade tzatziki and falafel on the side. All absolutely delicious. Fresh and well made. If you like mediterranean/middle eastern cuisine at all I highly recommend Odeh's.

Pizza Barn - You know, I honestly don't like their pizza. I am kind of a snob when it comes to pizza though. What I do love though, is their calzones (or "hot sacks" as they call them). They are delicious and they have a very large variety to pick from. My personal favorite is the reuben. Also, they're a very good price at just $7 a pop - one is more than enough for a meal.

I guess I also grabbed coffee from Cowboy Joe on the way out of town. Also a bit of a coffee snob here...They made a delicious bee sting. If that breve was any indication, they know what they're doing there.

Offline double d

• Hoser Family Member
Re: Eating in Elko - review of a couple places
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 01:47:45 PM »
The Star can be a ridiculous amount of food for and average person...you can seriously hurt yourself in that place!. Bring a suitcase as a to-go box!

DD

Just hold on loosely but don't let go
If you cling to tightly
You're gonna lose control

Lucielove_elko

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2019, 04:32:53 PM »
I finally did a trip that was more than my usual 24 hours and gone, so I had a chance to eat out a bit. There are 3 places I'd like to recommend -

The Star - Basque food and more basque food. Seriously, beware coming on anything but a completely empty stomach. I made the mistake of having a bagel for breakfast, lol. Basque means large portion sizes, apparently. For one of the two sides I got cabbage soup, which came in bowl that was probably fit for 4 people, along with french bread that comes with every meal. It's very simple soup but it lends itself very well to dipping the bread in it. Then, I got 2 "half" sandwiches, which sure looked like full sandwiches to me, I can't imagine how big the full sandwich is. I got the beef tongue and the Star Melt (aged beef french dip essentially). I highly recommend the beef tongue. As strange as it sounds it is probably the most tender cut of beef and is absolutely delicious. For dessert, I decided to get the Winnemucca coffee, which is warm coffee, anisette, another spirit that I can't remember (bourbon?), and a twist of lemon. It comes out delicious - if you like licorice at all I highly recommend it.

Odeh's Mediterranean - Mediterranean/Middle Eastern is often hit and miss in America, but when done well I love it. Odeh's definitely does it well. I ended up getting the shawrma with their homemade pita, and homemade tzatziki and falafel on the side. All absolutely delicious. Fresh and well made. If you like mediterranean/middle eastern cuisine at all I highly recommend Odeh's.

Pizza Barn - You know, I honestly don't like their pizza. I am kind of a snob when it comes to pizza though. What I do love though, is their calzones (or "hot sacks" as they call them). They are delicious and they have a very large variety to pick from. My personal favorite is the reuben. Also, they're a very good price at just $7 a pop - one is more than enough for a meal.

I guess I also grabbed coffee from Cowboy Joe on the way out of town. Also a bit of a coffee snob here...They made a delicious bee sting. If that breve was any indication, they know what they're doing there.

You seem to like food. I just made a foodie post on way off topic http://sex-in-nevada.net/smforum/index.php?topic=32733.0

Also great review. I will have to check out that Mediterranean place. Glad you like the aged beef... that sounded really interesting.

Offline billwh

• Hoser Family Member
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 07:25:55 PM »
Tom mentioned Mc Adoos on 5th street. He claims it's the best breakfast he ever had, but then Tom thinks that everything he has is the best he's ever had. LOL

It's a breakfast and lunch place open from 7AM to 3PM. I'll be trying it out in a little less than 3 weeks now!

Jmc1590

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 07:53:52 PM »
I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention Toni Ona’s on Idaho St. Good food, large portions. One of my favorites in Elko for breakfast. Not quite in walking distance from 3rd street, but well worth it!

J

Offline billwh

• Hoser Family Member
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2019, 01:16:15 PM »
I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention Toni Ona’s on Idaho St. Good food, large portions. One of my favorites in Elko for breakfast. Not quite in walking distance from 3rd street, but well worth it!

J

Thanks for the tip, J. I'll be in Elko for 5 days in April, and will want to eat somewhere besides Stockmen's coffee shop (which I really like).

Offline NotAnOldGeezer

• Regular
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2019, 07:46:49 PM »
Peter took me out to the Toki Ona last May, they kept bringing food out until the table was full of dishes. I was so full I couldn't touch some
of it, and I can put it away when I'm hungry. :D

Ed1032

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 11:54:08 PM »
I’ve been wanting to eat at the Star Hotel since I first heard of it. Looks really good!

Offline ChicagoBob

• Horn Dog
  • Hoser Family Member
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2019, 04:36:07 AM »
I’ve been wanting to eat at the Star Hotel since I first heard of it. Looks really good!

I would recommend just trying lunch to start.  You'll still have plenty of leftovers for dinner! 
History will absolve me

Twitter@ChicagoBob6969

Offline bones

• Hoser Family Member
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2019, 08:03:01 AM »
Unsure if its still there but ate a couple of times at a place close to the bowling ally on the street behind Stockman's, served in a similar style to how the Star sounds to do it; Sorry don't recall the name of the place, it was on the smaller size. The food was good.

Jmc1590

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2019, 10:15:56 AM »
There used to be another basque restaurant across the corner from Stockmans. They’re no longer there. The new restaurant in that location appears to be doing well, but not actual experience inside.