Discussions > LPIN Specific Discussion

HIV Positive sex workers

(1/9) > >>

SpaceCadet:
There's a campaign trying to get HIV positive sex workers to work so long as their virus is below detectable levels.  It got me thinking.  What if we allowed HIV positive people to work so long as they advertise themselves as positive and such.  Think about it.  Their are plenty of mongers out there with HIV so an HIV positive sex worker wouldn't be short of a fan base.  That way a worker can still work safely and mongers with HIV won't feel completely cast out.  There would be a lower likelihood that someone would hide their HIV from an unexposed worker which I'm sure has happened plenty of times so the ladies who are uninfected can feel safer.  Something to ponder over.   

AliceLittle:
HIV is terribly misunderstood and stigmatized due to a lack of education.

If you have an undetectable viral load, you CANNOT infect someone else with HIV.

With that said, in the theoretical example given, condoms should still be used as there are multiple 'types' of HIV, and not everyone has the same 'type'. Some strains are notoriously difficult to treat, while others are extremely manageable.

https://www.mrfriendly.org I encourage everyone to check out this site to educate themselves on the real facts about HIV if the topic is one that you find interesting :) Mr.Friendly does fantastic work!

Milatommy:

TeeJay:

--- Quote from: AliceLittle on July 11, 2019, 08:45:31 PM ---With that said, in the theoretical example given, condoms should still be used as there are multiple 'types' of HIV, and not everyone has the same 'type'. Some strains are notoriously difficult to treat, while others are extremely manageable.

--- End quote ---

Thank you for making this important point! We certainly don't want to make people who are already sick even worse, or propagate the most virulent strains, even if among only the infected population.

Crystal Cooper:
I totally agree with Alice!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version