Discussions > Provider and Trip Reviews

Hotels, Resturants, Side trips too.

(1/10) > >>

shooter:
Guys one of the reasons we asked IB to put this topic up was to share information on good places to eat and clean cheap rooms for our trips. Also if you have any favorite side trips for during the daytime tell us about them. Of course telling us about the events on your trip is good too.

Curious:
OK.  I will add in my "secret" place to stay when I am in Tijuana.

This is a fairly new place, so it has bot had a lot of attention yet.

It is owned by the same peoplw who own Las Pulgas (the largest dance club I have ever seen.)

If you stay at Ticuan you can get a free pass to the dance club if you want one.

The hotel Ticuan is modern, with A/C, heat, carpeting, elevators, inside parking, large rooms and baths, nice towels, 33 inch LCD TV's in the rooms, hair dryer, water, lotion, shoe shine kits, tooth brushes, in room safe, all that stuff in the rooms.  Last time I was there I paid $50 US per night (yes, they take dollars.)  Free juice and snacks in the lobby, 24 hour delivery from local places to eat.  All around a GREAT deal for the money.  It is across the street from a local plice station.  See pictures at http://www.hotelticuan.com/fotos-tijuana-hotel.html

Staff always has at least one English speaking person.

Important note for travelers: - while not a "Love Motel",  it is monger friendly.

CookieMonster:
Curious, would you stay there even with the current border issues?  How far is it from the border and Zona?

Curious:
Border issues?

Which "issues" do you mean?

The ICE "slowdown" at the border?  It's a pain, but I take the bus across the border so I get to sit in an airconditioned bus...

The rateros doing choke hold muggings on the streets in La Zona Roja and environs?  I don't walk around much as a result - take a cab to the club I want to go to, then try to walk with someone to the next club, then grab a cab back to the hotel.

The clubs pawning off stale potato chips for $5 a bag even when you don't order them?  I just a) drop them on the floor, or b) charge the waiter $20 for an oil change, or c) sit on the bag.

Oh, and I have been known to THROW the bags at the waiters.

I also cary a pocket full of 2 peso coins, in case an erring waiter demands a "tip".

If you mean all the killings and kidnappings and such - I don't do drugs, nor do I hang around people who do, so I avoid pretty much all of that.  I also stay away from known dangerous areas (usually where the drugs are being sold....).

So far, so good...

Plus, the draw of cheap (by our standards) companionship is hard to resist.

Walking in to a hooker bar like Adelitas on a Saturday night is something EVERY guy should experience at least once in his life.  (On a good night Adelitas can have over 300 chicas working.)

SIDEWINDER:

--- Quote from: shooter on August 25, 2009, 08:24:00 AM ---Guys one of the reasons we asked IB to put this topic up was to share information on good places to eat and clean cheap rooms for our trips. Also if you have any favorite side trips for during the daytime tell us about them. Of course telling us about the events on your trip is good too.

--- End quote ---

I think just as important as telling people good places to go is also telling people bad places or places which are not worth the money.

Since I've been a frequent visitor to Vegas, I would like to mention the Rio buffett. Suppose to be the largest and best buffet in Nevada. Somewere around $28 bucks if I remember correctly. It was one of those things where me and a friend I had worked with met up in Vegas and wanted to try it just once to see what a $28 dollar Buffet was like. It was large and I guess if you load up on king crab legs, it would be worth it. It was good but I don't think it was any better then your average $10-$15 buffets. For $28 I expected all of the fancy salads such as Waldorf and all the fancy dressing to go with the salads. I also expected rich main course items such as beef bergundy, strognoff, fancy pilafs and real rich deserts. What they had was pretty much the same run of the mill food that other buffets have. I had what they claimed was a porkchop but it was thin and more like a pork steak which was very tough and I didn't even see any applesauce to go with it. I love the Rio and will return when I'm in vegas but will not visit the buffet again. By the way, the buffet has a kiosk at the entrance where you buy tickets to enter the buffet. The best meal this trip was the Four Queens $7.99 prime rib special which included baked potato, salad, vegtables and rolls.  It was very good and the service was excellent. It was suppose to be a 10 oz prime rib and I was thinking, that's not very big for a big eater but when it got to my table, it had to have been over a pound!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version